Thursday, August 20, 2009

Profile of the Obsessed: The Rooted

"People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God's Word throughout the day because they know that 40 minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages." - from Francis Chan's Crazy Love
I love this song because its simple lyrics remind me what I want for my children. As a parent, there are many things I want for them - but none are even close to hoping that they will make running hard after Christ their life goal. In fact, goal is almost too weak of a word. I want it to be their obsession. For many years, I either pursued other things, all of which now is counted as loss, or settled for a lukewarm faith. My walk with Christ was half-hearted, certainly not running hard with all my heart, soul, and mind - all of which was an act of disobedience to the greatest commandment. Only within with the last 5-6 years has it been about running hard after Him, and nothing compares to the joy and the fullness this kind of pursuit brings. I want my children to get a head start. But I know our work is cut out for Megumi and I. Memo to parents, especially in Southern California, who want to raise kids with a one pure and holy passion - Hollywood, Las Vegas, and Disneyland are way too close for comfort. Beware of distractions and alternative messages.

2 Comments:

Blogger ERuss said...

"The average Christian in the United States spends 10 minutes per day with God; meanwhile the average American spends four hours a day watching television.

Perhaps TV is not your thing--maybe you don't even own one. But how about your time and your resources? How much of your money is spent on yourself, and how much is directed toward God's kingdom? How much of your time is dedicated to pursuing your life and your goals, and how much is focused on God's work and purposes?

God doesn't want religious duty. He doesn't want a distracted, half-hearted "Fine, I'll read a chapter...now are you happy? atttitude. God wants His Word to be a delight to us, so much so that we meditate on it day and night.

In Psalm 1, He promises that those who do so are "like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers" (v.3)

- Francis Chan's Crazy Love

August 20, 2009 at 2:55 AM  
Blogger Nannette Ricaforte said...

You speak words of truth, Russ. Also, this is the 3rd time that Francis
Chan's Crazy Love has been mentioned this week. I think I need to read it soon.

August 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home