We put our hope in the Lord.
He is our help and our shield.
In Him our hearts rejoice
For we trust in His holy name.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Disneyland
Today, the entire family went to Disneyland compliments of my dad. Initially he wanted to take all the grandkids to the Happiest Place on Earth for three whole days. Apparently that's how long it takes to explore the two parks. To be honest, I was a little anxious about going to this place. Although we have lived in Orange County for over 10 years, we have been to Disneyland only a handful of times, and never alone as a family. We always tagged along with extended family. The place is just too much of everything. The crazy admission prices, the insane price of food, and the stimulation is far beyond what we consider family entertainment. Combine with the fact that we are on break from one year in a developing world, you can see how this was a set-up for misery. I feel bad for even saying this because the intent here is to enjoy it with those you love. Well, here are my post-Disneyland reflections - all of which suprised me. - Of course I noticed the $12 glow-in-the dark balloons; the $9 burger; the $17 mist spray bottle (batteries included), and the orgy-like consumption that occurs in the park. And of course, I was reminded that the average daily salary of a Filipino is less than $3 dollars a day. - And of couse, I saw the worst of parenting - for example the "mother" who was shouting at her children while we were waiting in line for the flying Dumbo ride - "Shut up! I say "shut-up! If you don't behave, I'm taking you back the hotel and leave you with the babysitter!" I don't get these parents. Or maybe I do. It just makes me cringe. - But what I saw in my children and in many others, was magic. Disneyland knows how to captivate, and I have not seen Sei's eyes light up like this in a long time. He particularly loved riding the rocket ship and driving the car in Autopia in Tomorrowland. What I saw were parents just wanting to have their children have a good time. It didn't matter the cost (well....it wasn't my money) and it didn't matter that we ate like crap (we had ice cream for dinner). This was about unadulterated joy. - And the entire experience was provided by my dad, who is the most generous man I know. We accepted the entire day as a gift and we are full of junk food and gratitude. I am still learning to accept lavish gifts with graciousness. There are many reasons why it's hard for me. These reasons include my inability to pay someone back; that I am not deserving; the fact that all of it is fleeting and can fade away so quickly; my obsession with costs, etc. This attitude has crept into my relationship with my Heavenly Father, who loves to lavish His children too. This is a part of me that needs to be healed. Daily I am reminded that it is all grace. What a silly thing to think that I have to pay Him back. I think He just wants me to relax and enjoy it all. So that is what we did at Disneyland. So much so, that it created decreased excitment about returning back to the Philippines in a couple weeks, and just stay in Orange County, and buy an Annual Pass (not really). My kids had such a great time, and as a parent, it was my joy to witness their joy. The Bermejo Boys These are the balloons that take almost a week for the average Filipino to earn.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home