Tuesday, August 19, 2008

San Carlos Visit

Monday was a national holiday, so I decided to go visit the Bermejo clan in San Carlos City, which is the next island over from Cebu. The trip involved taking a "V-hire" which is basically a van ride in which you pack as many people in there as you possibly can and charge them a 100 pesos for the one and half hour trip. Going there wasn't bad, but the ride back was absolutely torture. I am not exaggerating. I thought I was going to go crazy - like scream-and-shout-out-let-me-get-out-of-here-crazy. Imagine being stuck in a box with four other people with a snipet of ventilenation, and then you will know how I felt. I didn't even have room to scratch myself, and the heat and sweat from all the other people was getting to me. I was even starting to think evil thoughts towards the driver for allowing this to happen. I survived this form of local torture chamber without embarrassing myself only by the grace of God. I kept sane by breaking the trip in 10 minute increments (this is also what I did when I ran marathons). Otherwise, the weekend was a lot of fun. I had a great time visiting my cousins (there a lot of them) and their kids (I felt like I was in a rabbit farm) and my aunties and uncles, all of whom always take good care of me when I visit. Below are some photos of my wonderful weekend. After the v-hire torture chamber, it is a relaxing boat ride to San Carlos City, which takes about an hour and half. Dramamine also helped make this a pleasant trip.I threw a hot dog and ice cream party, which is always a lot of fun. Lots of laughing, joking, eating, and picture-taking! You should have seen our shoppping cart. I had to explain to the cashier that I have a big family!Come-one-come-all to Tito Russ' party!The road to and from San Carlos, which is lined with sugar cane one side and the coast on the other. Life here in the province is in stark contrast to that in Cebu City - that's for sure.
I visited my Uncle Simeon, who knows how to make the best caldereta (aka goat stew). I will share more photos this week how to make this. I'll leave you with step #1 and the most important ingredient.I also visited my Lola and Lolo (grandma and grandpa) Bermejo. Exactly two years ago we buried my Lolo Simpllicio at this site. I told both of them that I was back in the Philippines not only to visit our large and growing family, but to also serve in Cebu. I told them that I was well and thanked them for teaching all of us about Jesus, about living a generous life, and how to work and laugh hard. I left some flowers and our prayer and Christmas photo card and told them I would be back soon with Megumi and the kids.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a good son! I'm praying for you!
-David Haigh

August 26, 2008 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Hey Dave, I am a good son because I have fathers in Heaven and earth who are even more awesome. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement.

August 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home