Behind Every Face, There's a Story
People watching can be both a lot of fun and heart-breaking here in Cebu. To see joy and despair in the same street corner and even on the same face testifies to the fascinating story of life anywhere, and that is no less true here. If you know anything about the Filipino spirit, you know how fun-loving and warm-hearted they can be. Of course, there is the stereotype of the "happy poor" which can be disparaging or disengenuous as well. I just know there is a story behind every face, one that is of course rich and complex. 
I met this man sitting right in front of the college which is located right across the street from my motel. I think he was blind. Whenever I see older folk on the street, I wonder how they got there - wife? children? grandchildren? This is the same question regardless of the age, I guess.
This young boy went up to me as I was waiting to cross the street. He was asking for money and followed me as I was crossing. He followed me and I was worried that he was not paying attention to oncoming traffic. We crossed safely together to the other side where I rewarded him. He returned it with a great smile and the cutest "thank-you."
This young lady was quite happy for me to take here picture (if possible, I ask permission first). She asked me to come back and bring her a copy of the photo. She says that she is there every weekend. I promised her that I would.
Kudos to my friend, LaDean G. who posted the following comment on the above photo: "Their version of Home Depot??"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home