Thursday, August 7, 2008

Carbon Market - The True Farmers Market

Last weekend, I visited Carbon Market on my own and captured some of the sights from this most unique experience. Of course, there are the other senses that are left to your imagination. Here is a vivid description of the locale, however, from my tour book:

"The old part of Cebu City, known to bureaucrats as Central Proper, is a seething cobweb of sunless streets between Carbon Market and Colon Street, the latter said to be the oldest mercantile thoroughfare in the Philippines. You can explore the area on foot, picking your way carefully past barrow boys selling pungent limes, hawkers peddling fake mobile phone accessories, and, at night, pimps whispering their proposals from dark doorways. A vibrant, humming occasionally malodorous area of poorly maintained pavements and thick diesel fumes, it's not a mainstream tourist sight but worth some time for its spirit and vigour. About ten minutes' walk south of Colon Street, Carbon Market is an area of covered stalls where the range of goods on offer, edible and otherwise, will leave you reeling. Carbon is alive from well before dawn and doesn't slow down until after dark. This is where produce is brought from the rest of Cebu Island every morning -- shining fat tuna, crabs, lobsters, coconuts, guavas, avacados, and mangoes."






2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Russ, Sorry if I confused you. This is Lisa Rosaasen Krueger; we talked at the class reunion. My husband took a trip earlier this summer to Cambodia, so your story and what you're doing this year was of special interest to me. I enjoyed the photos of the market. I also wanted to let you know that if you have internet access, I would invite you to listen to my husband's radio station. You can find it online at plr.org. Our prayers are with you.

August 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Hi Lisa, I'm glad it was you. I was going down the list of all the Lisas (not many) I knew. I am going to check out the radio station here, so thanks for sharing the link with me. Thank you also for your prayers, which always mean so much. God bless you and your family. Keep in touch.

August 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home