Monday, August 11, 2008

Where The Streets Have No Lanes

I miss driving our Honda Odyssey and Honda Accord back in the states. But I am determined not to drive here because of the chaos that is out there in the streets. I have yet to see a lane marker and any resemblence of driving lanes. I feel like I'm playing the old video game Frogger when I'm trying to cross the road. I am surprised there are not more accidents here. I swear - I think everyone has telepathy here to determine who has the right of way. So I will be dependent on taking a taxi to and from work every day. The cost of a ride from my motel to the office and other points (such as the malls) is about 50-70 pesos (a little over a $1 to $1.50 one way). The taxis are metered so I have yet to experience any improprieties here. Aside from the one offer to take me to a prostitute, I have not had any problems with the taxi or driver. I have ridden the jeepney (which are the oftentimes gaudy and flamboyant-looking enlongated transformed jeeps) once, and I ended up sweating in the back and inhaling the exhaust fumes from the traffic here. It was cheap, however, costing only 8 pesos per ride. That is how many people get around here. Another option is to ride a motorcycle, where I could probably fit the entire family on in the back. I promised, however, my sister that I would not even try to ride a motor bike or scooter here because of the potential danger. Apparently she had a friend of a friend that was killed here riding a scooter bike. When the kids get here, we will, however, try the horse-drawn carriage. That looks like fun! Poor horses, though, - they probably have end-stage emphysema from working the streets here in Cebu. Here are some photos of how people get to point A to B.
The young boy in the back had no pants on.
The ride in the back of a jeepney.
The Marlboro Horses.
A view of the 2-3-4 (who knows) street right in front of my motel.
The newer jeepneys are quite colorful and flashy!
The family that rides together stays together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home