It Actually Tasted Like Chicken
So it was a perfect match tonight all the way around - a Fil-Am carnivore who didn't want to spend a lot of money looking for a vendor who had a lot of meat to grill and sell. Usually its either pork or chicken, so being the good SDA that I supposedly am not, I opted for fowl. I followed my nose and found a stall at a nearby corner. That's when the questions started. I was told it was all chicken, but the questions were "which part is that?" You have to admire the Filipinos for not wasting any part of the bird. I'm talking chicken livers, cubed chicken blood, chicken skin, chicken feet, gizzards, etc. I first opted for the familiar - two wings, which cost me 35 pesos for one stick. Next, I chose two chicken thighs (I trusted them on this), which cost me 20 pesos. I think they were already cooked, but the young man took each selection and warmed it over the grill. I was given some soy-like sauce and kalimansi halves, which is like a sour lime as condiments. The barbeque was fabulous! And the best part -
it even tasted like chicken! I was elated as you can see!
- isaw, or IUD (chicken intenstine - apparently some filipinos know about one form of birth control methods)
- betamax (cubed chicken blood - I'm trying to figure this one out, if you know, please post the answer)
- adidas (chicken feet - bruhahaha!)
- helmet (chicken head - yee-haw!)
- 007 (chicken wings - it was derived from the number of James Bond because the wings appear to look like number 7)

3 Comments:
The internet is an amazing thing. I just put in the words "betamax chicken" and I got my answer:
The curdled and dried chicken blood, cut into cubes and barbecued is called “betamax” because its shape and color makes it look like a tape of a betamax (vs. VHS) tape.
These Filipinos are strange birds.
RussMegumiKids,
You look awesomely good and I wasn't referring to the BBQ chicken. Glad to hear that you and the family arrived safely. Been reading your blogs and trying to get updated with your yearlong vacation there. We really have nothing to complain about after seeing your photos, which are great by the way especially the Markets. It brings back some memories for me before I left the Philippines at the age of 10. I was happy to read about the hope you found because it could be difficult to find if you don't know where to look. I do miss the food, eat some baloots with salt for me. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mens Group OCC #3 (cause you are Numero Uno)
Hi Eaglar, by your description, I believe you are Allen G. from OCC. If this is true, I would pay anything (not really) for you to be with me so we could tour around this crazy place, and hear you laugh, which always makes me laugh. Thanks for your prayers.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home