Forgiveness is Freedom, Too
Could you forgive a person who murdered your family?
This is the compelling if not crazy question dealt with in the movie called "As We Forgive Those" which is a documentary about two Rwandan women coming face-to-face with the men who slaughtered their families during the 1994 genocide. Struggling to live again as neighbors, these survivors and killers discover the power and the pain of radical reconciliation. I hope to get a hold of this DVD and witness this amazing story myself. I especially was struck by the remark about how so much in Rwanda has been restored, but restoring hearts of people and freeing them from deep anger and hatred is still a challenge.
Although such radical expressions of forgiveness or mercy seems unimagineable ("it is not human, but divine"), it is possible because we serve a Savior, who while on the Cross, had radical compassion to forgave those who put Him there. I was amazed to hear that our office here at IJM, during a prior retreat, decided to focus their time in praying for the perpetrators of injustice. They too need deliverance and restoration.
Are the hearts of believers expanding for even the most evil? This crazy notion is easy to dismiss, but perhaps one that demands deeper consideration by each of us, especially by those who desire more to have the heart of Christ. For I have to believe that the Cross is sufficient to save even the worst sinner or it is not sufficient to save me. I challenge each of you to search into Scripture and find what it has to say about the radical nature of forgiveness. I would love it if you could share it by posting it below. And then, to yourself, pray that you be washed by its truth.
This is the compelling if not crazy question dealt with in the movie called "As We Forgive Those" which is a documentary about two Rwandan women coming face-to-face with the men who slaughtered their families during the 1994 genocide. Struggling to live again as neighbors, these survivors and killers discover the power and the pain of radical reconciliation. I hope to get a hold of this DVD and witness this amazing story myself. I especially was struck by the remark about how so much in Rwanda has been restored, but restoring hearts of people and freeing them from deep anger and hatred is still a challenge.
Although such radical expressions of forgiveness or mercy seems unimagineable ("it is not human, but divine"), it is possible because we serve a Savior, who while on the Cross, had radical compassion to forgave those who put Him there. I was amazed to hear that our office here at IJM, during a prior retreat, decided to focus their time in praying for the perpetrators of injustice. They too need deliverance and restoration.
Are the hearts of believers expanding for even the most evil? This crazy notion is easy to dismiss, but perhaps one that demands deeper consideration by each of us, especially by those who desire more to have the heart of Christ. For I have to believe that the Cross is sufficient to save even the worst sinner or it is not sufficient to save me. I challenge each of you to search into Scripture and find what it has to say about the radical nature of forgiveness. I would love it if you could share it by posting it below. And then, to yourself, pray that you be washed by its truth.

3 Comments:
Here's my verse about crazy-stupid forgiveness - it will take my entire lifetime to get my arms around this one. But if my desire is to have the heart of Christ, this cannot be dismissed as pie-in-the-sky. This is about having His heart:
"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary:
'If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.'
Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good."
Russ:
I'm talking with my church about getting a copy of this DVD. If we order it, I'll let you know......enjoying your photos on FB and glad to see your smiling face......jane
Hey jane, I think the DVD would draw some interesting discussions and responses. Hope all is well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home