We Do Our Work Differently
It's Saturday morning here and I have finished my first week at work. What an amazing week at has been. I have accompanied the social workers here on field visits and it has been incredible to witness their work, their heart, and faith. There has been so much laughter also, which is evidence of the joy they have in their hearts in serving Lord Jesus. Of course, it is the filipino spirit to laugh, joke, and simply be happy. But I think there is more to this, which I will share below.
As many of you know, it is IJM's practice in every field office, including headquarters to start out every day in silence for the first 30 minutes of the work day (8:00 - 8:30 am). They are very intentional about this and they believe there is no better or even any other thinkable way to start the work day than to submit your mind and heart to Him. Then at 11:30 am, the team gets together for 30 minutes of prayer time, where we submit our needs to Him again. We pray for victims, pending rescue operations, pending and current court trial hearings, and each other. A passage of Scripture is always shared and sometimes a praise song is sung. And then we pray.
This Monday, our office has their quarterly prayer retreat where again we will come together as a team and pray, share, worship, and fast. If you know anything about Filipinos, eating is one of their national past times (I have eaten ridicuosly well this well, by the way), so fasting can be a challenge. But we will willingly give up anything for a day, including food, so we can draw closer to our Heavenly Father.
During my first week here, I have spoken to many of my new friends/co-workers, and each of them thus far have stated how their job at IJM was an answered prayer. From the social workers, to the drivers, to the support staff, each prayed that they would be able to find a Christian company so they can openly live out their faith and be encouraged by the the Body while they serve Lord Jesus Christ.
The cultural and societal conditions that allow child prostitution and sex trafficking anywhere, including here in the Philippines seem unsolvable. The gripping and pervasive poverty, the lack of resources and support networks, and cultural norms can easily make us all feel hopeless, discouraged, and paralyzed.
So we pray.
As you can see, IJM does their work - differently. The fruits of the Spirit are evident - kindness, joy, perservence, hope, love. I am just privileged to be a witness to this.
Have a great weekend.
PS. One prayer request - I will house-hunting tomorrow. Pray that I will be led to the place God wants our family to be for the next year.
As many of you know, it is IJM's practice in every field office, including headquarters to start out every day in silence for the first 30 minutes of the work day (8:00 - 8:30 am). They are very intentional about this and they believe there is no better or even any other thinkable way to start the work day than to submit your mind and heart to Him. Then at 11:30 am, the team gets together for 30 minutes of prayer time, where we submit our needs to Him again. We pray for victims, pending rescue operations, pending and current court trial hearings, and each other. A passage of Scripture is always shared and sometimes a praise song is sung. And then we pray.
This Monday, our office has their quarterly prayer retreat where again we will come together as a team and pray, share, worship, and fast. If you know anything about Filipinos, eating is one of their national past times (I have eaten ridicuosly well this well, by the way), so fasting can be a challenge. But we will willingly give up anything for a day, including food, so we can draw closer to our Heavenly Father.
During my first week here, I have spoken to many of my new friends/co-workers, and each of them thus far have stated how their job at IJM was an answered prayer. From the social workers, to the drivers, to the support staff, each prayed that they would be able to find a Christian company so they can openly live out their faith and be encouraged by the the Body while they serve Lord Jesus Christ.
The cultural and societal conditions that allow child prostitution and sex trafficking anywhere, including here in the Philippines seem unsolvable. The gripping and pervasive poverty, the lack of resources and support networks, and cultural norms can easily make us all feel hopeless, discouraged, and paralyzed.
So we pray.
As you can see, IJM does their work - differently. The fruits of the Spirit are evident - kindness, joy, perservence, hope, love. I am just privileged to be a witness to this.
Have a great weekend.
PS. One prayer request - I will house-hunting tomorrow. Pray that I will be led to the place God wants our family to be for the next year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home