Saturday, May 21, 2011

Marriage & Family: Disciple-Making Machines

One of the most exhilerating things about hearing God's voice is discovering a book, a sermon, a worship song, or person who speaks to me in ways that He has already spoken or is currently speaking in my life.

This sermon by Francis Chan is one of these recent discoveries. I could have preached this sermon. I say that not because I would like to preach or be confused for being Francis Chan. Of course, I'd like to be dynamic and a powerful such as he. Unfortunately, I'm not, but I'm okay with that. I Corinthians 2:1-5 is helping me accept this.

Rather, I could preach this sermon, because I can see how God is working in both of our lives and families in so many similar ways. The ways he speaks about marriage and home life is how God is convicting me about marriage and my children. The ways he talks about his wife is the way I can talk about Megumi. We share the same passions and crazy ideas. He also happens to have four kids in a small home.

No - this is not about me idolizing a prolific Christian personality. There's a lot of that going on these days and so easy to do. Rather, this is about me becoming like Christ and seeing how God shapes and leads men in similar ways. There was a time (even recently) that I wanted to meet Francis. Not any more. Instead I see him and others (both dynamic and boring, prolific and obscure) as anonymous partners working for one Person, who is worthy of our worship and admiration. "For we are co-workers in God's service, you are God's field, God's building." Read I Corinthians 3 to find out Paul's teaching about the church and its leaders. There is only one God who makes things grow.

I am so grateful that God gave me a supernaturally-good wife to come alongside me and say yes to another crazy idea He has planted in our hearts. Together, Megumi and I are committed to becoming a "little church" - the gospel on display, Good News with 12 legs. Less and less, I see ministry to be in conflict or competing with my marriage and family life. Rather,"church" is now our family mission.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Russ, I'm just getting back into reading your blog and once again, it seems timely as I find what you are writing about is in line with what the Holy Spirit is stirring up in me these days. My head and heart are spinning (in a good way) and I have much to seek the Lord about. Just want you to know I am reading and am thankful that you are posting about your latest adventures. Please say hi to Megumi from me!

June 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Thanks Jen for your post. I know the feeling of a spinning heart and mind. It is a season of restlessness yet trying to rest in Him that seems to mark those who seek Him. We miss you and Andrey and hope to meet your Princess some day.

June 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home