Monday, December 20, 2010

We Found Him

As we enter into the last week of Advent, I'm reflecting on my personal journey the last three weeks, and I realize that my desire to see the Baby Jesus during this season does not come readily. I have too many things on my plate, and my inclination is to shut the door, make no space, and prepare no room for Him. This is sobering to me as I try to lead my family, particularly my children on a Journey. Also, in many ways it's easy to commit and prepare for the big and grand journeys (ie. moving to Cebu for a year or so) than to commit yourself to daily preparation to receive Him - day in, day out. Similarly, I oftentimes find myself more involved when I'm trying to lead a group or do some ministry thingamajig and find it a bit more akward leading my family. One more confession - at times I find it easier sharing through things like social media (this blog, FB) rather than sharing it directly with Megumi and the kids. I need a lot of discipline and resolve and I want to change - starting now (New Year's resolution?) For many of us these days, communication and experiences are so in-direct, and we forgo and miss out in the joy of actually being present with each other - and with Him.

So last night, we celebrated our last Advent Worship as a family (no one came). I had something prepared, which for the most part, I shared with - us. It was special nevertheless - and maybe even more. We placed Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus in the manger - finally - after a long and arduous journey. We placed the Three Wise Men, who finally see the Baby months or maybe even up to a couple years after Jesus was born. And we talked about frankincense, gold, and myrrh and the meanings behind those gifts.

And finally, I asked the kids if they wanted to see Baby Jesus. I took them to the other room, the entire house darkened to only to the candle lights and I again asked them if they wanted to see Jesus. Their eyes lit up - like only a child could - when I told them "Come and see...." And one by one, I led them back to the sacred space, where Megumi (with her back turned back) was holding a baby. Hana, Sei, and Tomo each walked with anticipation and upon arrival, kissed the baby with sweet joy.

We found Him and are still looking for Him.

“O here and now our restless journey ends.”
“O here and now our restless journey starts.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home