Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Journey - Part 1

Last week, International Justice Mission (IJM) released and posted the Evaluation Report for Project Lantern, which is the name of the project carried out by IJM Cebu. Here's a bit of history of the Project with some personalization included. These are chapters of My Journey.

- November 2005, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation awarded International Justice Mission (IJM) a $5 million grant to support a five-year anti-sex trafficking project, which intended to demonstrate the effectiveness of a law enforcement-based strategy to reduce the prevalence of sex trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation of children.

- In 2006, IJM staff researched 14 potential locations before identifying Cebu, Philippines as the strongest candidate for the project location. IJM staff visited Cebu and spoke with local government, law enforcement, aftercare, and NGO stakeholders to confirm the suitability of Cebu, specifically the Metro Cebu area, as the project site. The project was entitled “Project Lantern” because a lantern was a symbol of hope and freedom during the period of the Underground Railroad.

- In March 2006 I first heart about IJM from a co-worker, who has a personal friend who has done some volunteer work with IJM.

- In April 2006, I attend Mission Fest in Riverside, California to hear Gary Haugen, IJM Founder, speak. I attend a break-out session and hear that there may be an office opening in Cebu, Philippines. I'm excited because this is my birthplace.

- In May 2006, I contact IJM about possible volunteer opportunities in the Philippines. I also email my co-worker's friend, Mae S, who shared some of her experience in IJM-related project in Peru. We share our similar backgrounds as Filipino-Americans and mental health professionals, and our shared passions and interest of justice and God's possible calling on our lives.

- In June 2006, I submit an application for an aftercare fellowship with a state preference for the Philippines. I later get a call from IJM suggesting that I also apply for an aftercare director position for a yet-to-be-named-location, which I later found out was for the new Project Lantern in Cebu. I eventually get Megumi's approval to do this after the idea rocked our comfortable world.

- In July 2006, after sensing God's leading and opened doors, I finally get word that the the aftercare director position was offered to another candidate. I was floored and deeply disappointed, but immediately prayed for the person they selected. Several months later, I find out it was Mae. S. I inquire about fellowship (non-paid) opportunities, with interest still in the Philippines, namely Manila.

- In September 2006, I was informed that there were no current opportunities in Manila. I'm again deeply disappointed. We were asked to consider opportunities in Africa and India. Megumi is still with me, but she's wondering how this is all going to unfold.

- In November 2006, after much prayer and the news that Megumi was pregnant, we inform IJM that we are no considering any opportunities. I'm eventually at peace with the decision and releasing a dream in exchange for God's will in my life and for my family.

- In July 2007, our son is born. Conceived during a special season in our lives, we call him Tomoki - which means justice and light in Japanese, and give him a second name "Courage."

- From August - October 2007, I experience burn-out for the first time in my career at Social Services. In October, I come home and tell Megumi that I hate my job. This is a stunning time for all of us. I have no passionl, no dream in my life, and I no longer hear God's voice as I heard it before - I call it a desert experience.

- In late October 2007, I attend a two-day contemplative prayer retreat at the National Youth Workers Convention in San Diego. God speaks to me and I accept my work situation with gratitude and renewed energy. By the end of the year, I'm at peace again.

- In December 2007, my grandfather, Lolo Layon, passes away. I grieve the loss and now have a deeper yearning for eternity. In the meantime, I commit my life to serving Him - in the same steadfastness and passion as my grandfather. The torch and the baton has been passed and He is now part of my cloud of witness on my race.

To be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home