Sunday, November 15, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Today I was looking forward to watching the Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto fight on live satellite feed here in Cebu. This would be Pacman's third fight during my stay here, and the previous two havee been an absolute treat. So this morning I was going to watch it with some of my guy friends from IJM Cebu and we had already purchsed tickets, but at the last minute I have opted not to go.

Instead, I along with family will spend the morning at My Refuge House, where we have been spending our last few Sunday mornings sharing worship with the girls. In the larger scheme of things, this decision was not a difficult one for me.

I've been thinking a lot of the "larger scheme of things" - so much so that I've been told that I'm too serious and need to relax a bit.

Hmmm.......relax?

I wonder if anyone ever told Manny P. that he was too serious about boxing, and that he should just take it easy?

I mean, I have no desire to be a world champion in anything, but anything that is worth of any value to you is worth doing with all your might. I am still haunted by the thoughts shared by my sister-in-Christ, Nannette, who is similarly driven by Bob Marley's quote: "the people who are trying to make this world worse aren’t taking a day off. How can I?"

These are the images that motivate me to finish out strong these days:

- Manny P. training - he knows something about desire and working hard
- My Lola Layon - who knows something about running a long race and finishing strong
- Team Hoyt - I shared this video (which inspired me in my running days) with the girls at MRH on Friday and asked them one question and urged them to do one thing: How much does a Father love his child? Don't give up.
- the hideous sights of old white men here in Cebu hanging out with young filipna women. You see them all over the mall here, including family restaurants. I mean can't a family eat in peace without a having to be disturbed by grandpa caressing the arm of woman a third of his age.
- news stories like this. When Megumi and I read this, I told her this world is depraved and days are indeed evil. Evil does not take it easy. Neither should goodness.
- the 8 girls at MRH - I'm trying to look at them like Christ looked at sinful women during his ministry. I wonder if these were the ones that kept Him going all the way to the end (see Hebrew 12:2-3).
- the calender - our days are numbered. 45 days and counting...

My mind is restless and so is my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home