Resting Now

Today, my Lola (grandmother) finally completed her race and crossed the finish line by entering into eternal rest. She was 93 years old. She joins my Lolo (grandfather), who finished his race almost two years ago. They were married 72 amazing years.
I was blessed to have so many memories with my grandparents. Not only because they lived so long but also our life situations always seemed to have them nearby or frequent visits with extended stays. I remember when they would travel all the way from California to visit us in St. Louis and stay with us for many many months. I also remember our summer trips to California, where we spend our summer with them, my aunties and uncles. I remember counting the days until our farewell - even right after they or we arrived. I remember family worship - every morning and every evening and how that always seemed to disrupt my favorite TV show or whatever I was doing. I remember singing all the hymn choruses, listening to the reading from the adult bible stuy guide, the long prayers at the end, and asking myself when all of it was going to be over. My Lolo was a retired minister and my Lola was a pastor's wife. My mom was the oldest of four preacher's kids (PKs). You can imagine all the activities and dysfunction that came along with this.
My Lola was an interesting women with a lot a personality quirks - she was tough, demanding, and ornery. I remember how for many years she would talk about dying and going into the grave. This went on and on, and frankly, this talk was all bit annoying. But then a few years ago, I came to see this complaining and her personality in a different light. I saw her groaning not as merely fatalistic complaint, but as a cry out for rest, peace, and eternity and a final discontent of what this life had to offer. Romans 8:18-27 and Ecclesiastes 3:11 finally made sense to me.
For nearly the last two years my Lola laid in bed in my parents' home while my mom and the entire family lovingly cared for her. To many, there may have been no purpose to her life in these invalid days. But undoubtedly, God was using her again to shape us to be more like Him - to be more gracious, patient, forgiving, loving, and tireless in our devotion. We loved her and she knew she was loved too. We found her shaping us even when she was no longer able to say anything. Her life was not perfect and neither was her family. But God uses it all to shape our hearts to be more like Him.
And of course, my Lola and Lolo knew a little something about grace. When I asked them what their secret was for 72 years of marriage, Lola said "Forget each other's mistakes! Forgive!" My Lolo replied "Loving Christ every day, every moment of our lives." Their endurance is an inspiration to Megumi and I. I know they would be especially proud of our time and work here in Cebu. They are our cloud of witnesses cheering us along, encouraging us to endure.
When I left for the Philippines last July 2008, I thought that it would be the last time to "see" her. When we returned one year later, she was still with us, laying in the same bed. I was elated that she recognized my voice, knew my name, and was even able to say Megumi's name. Right before our return to PI in August, I kissed her forehead and tearfully told her we were going back to Cebu. My last words to her was a whisper in her ear "Jesus is coming soon, very soon."
I thank you, Lola for your life. I will see you and Lolo soon at the finish line.

4 Comments:
I hope one day Rylee will write about me the way you did with your Lola. It's one of the toughest and most challenging roles in my life. I fail almost every day. I hope she'll understand one day.
Hey Nannette,
We need grace in all of this. Fortunately, we have a Father who is the author, perfector, and finisher of even our (grand)parenting. Philippians 1:6 is a verse that we shared with the girls on Friday. God bless you my sister.
Russ
What a beautiful tribute to your Lola. Sorry for your loss but happy to know she is no doubt enjoying her homecoming.
I can't believe I didn't know you guys had a blog! I will be checking in regularly and reading. Enjoying your thoughtful writing...
Hi Jen, thank you for checking in. This blog started when we made the decision last spring to come to Cebu. I would like to someday print out all the posts and the replies and archive it all as a way to remember this crazy journey we've been on.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home