Shaken

Alan, who is a totally co-worker and brother of mine here at IJM, and I often find ourselves in these really great conversations about faith, our walk with Jesus, and passions. He recently recommended a book a while back called The Shack by William P. Young. Hesitant to give me the premise of the book and just telling me that it was a must read, I decided to find out at least what the book was about. I was unaware of the stir and impact the book had - it has been #1 on a New York Times Bestseller List for over 40 weeks. I told Alan I wasn't into fiction, especially Christian fiction (except perhaps only C.S. Lewis). But when I found out about the story line, I was astounded -
"Mackenzie Allen Philip's youngest daughter, Missy has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found an abandoned shack deep in the Orangon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.
Against his better judgement he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever."
I borrowed the book yesterday, took it home, and Megumi and I began reading it. At about 2 am this morning, Megumi, who couldn't put the book down, was shakened and frightened. She was a little further along in the opening chapters and she told me what she had just read. I was also chilled to the bone and I couldn't wait for dawn. I'm serious.
She and I had a hard time falling asleep because we were so deeply affected. When the morning broke, we were relieved. We anticipate greater peace as the story unfolds this weekend. It's our wedding anniversary weekend, and this is perhaps one of those atypical reads during such a time. But heck - this guy in the book spent a weekend with God. So we look forward to the experience.
I wonder if any of you have read this book. Milions have and been changed.

1 Comments:
Megumi just finished the book and here are some of her thoughts about the book:
The book made me to desire the Father, Son, and Spirit more. I loved the elements of healing in the story, which showed me that God is truly about love. This was important for me to know that.
Here are my thoughts, which are very brief, because I think people will have different experience with the book depending where they have been and where they are now. The book spoke to me in deep spaces in my growing relationship with God. I love how the book attempts to describe an encounter with God. Some people may be turned off by the book because of the creative liberties the author took. And to those people I would say this - you need to get a life. Better yet - you need to experience God in ways that others will think you are absolutely crazy. The Triune can be such an illusive idea. But there is nothing more truth-full and life-giving and healing than to have a taste of it. That is what I loved about the book, which started out as a horror novel for and ended up becoming life. Perhaps that is the story of the Cross, too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home