At His Feet
I was asked to lead out in the 11:30 am Prayer Time at the office today. After a short prayer asking for some guidance I was led to find out where Jesus was with a little over a week before the Cross. Next week is Holy Week, which is huge here in the Philippines. I found myself in John 12, which took place six days before Passover. Technically, Passover begins next Wednesday evening, but I thought this was close enough.
The story is about Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, annointing Jesus with some expensive perfume. She breaks all kinds of social and religious rules in this extravagant act of worship. Nothing was going to hold her back as she wipes his feet with her hair. She made my worship, which is always marked by calculation and reservation, look mighty weak.
A few days earlier, we find the same Mary again, overcome with grief after her brother, Lazarus had passed into death. In John 11:31, Mary falls at the feet of Jesus (see Rembrandt's sketch below), who was apparently taking his sweet old time in getting to Bethany. "If only had you had been here, my brother would not have died." This time, Mary shows me the honest unveiled questions we all have for Jesus - where were you when I needed you? If you had only done something?
And then one more story about the same Mary - this time at their house. While Martha is busy busy taking care of dinner, where do we find Mary? At her Lord's feet, listening like any student would in the presence of Rabbi. Jesus reminds us that her posture is "the one thing worth being concerned about."
I invited my co-workers to imagine being at the feet of Jesus. Literally. Is it the posture of extravagant worhip? Is it anguish and lament? Or is it student? Before we prayed, we shared prayer requests, which included family and clients. I also invited them to imagine what it would be like to bring their loved one or one of the rescued girls to the feet of Jesus introducing them to Him.
And then we entered into silent prayer silently while I played "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" for the duration of our time together.
What would you do at Jesus feet?
The story is about Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, annointing Jesus with some expensive perfume. She breaks all kinds of social and religious rules in this extravagant act of worship. Nothing was going to hold her back as she wipes his feet with her hair. She made my worship, which is always marked by calculation and reservation, look mighty weak.
A few days earlier, we find the same Mary again, overcome with grief after her brother, Lazarus had passed into death. In John 11:31, Mary falls at the feet of Jesus (see Rembrandt's sketch below), who was apparently taking his sweet old time in getting to Bethany. "If only had you had been here, my brother would not have died." This time, Mary shows me the honest unveiled questions we all have for Jesus - where were you when I needed you? If you had only done something?
And then one more story about the same Mary - this time at their house. While Martha is busy busy taking care of dinner, where do we find Mary? At her Lord's feet, listening like any student would in the presence of Rabbi. Jesus reminds us that her posture is "the one thing worth being concerned about."
I invited my co-workers to imagine being at the feet of Jesus. Literally. Is it the posture of extravagant worhip? Is it anguish and lament? Or is it student? Before we prayed, we shared prayer requests, which included family and clients. I also invited them to imagine what it would be like to bring their loved one or one of the rescued girls to the feet of Jesus introducing them to Him.
And then we entered into silent prayer silently while I played "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" for the duration of our time together.
What would you do at Jesus feet?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home