Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Life and Work


Yesterday, we returned back to home in Cebu after spending a couple days in San Carlos. After dropping off my things, I had the taxi driver wait for me while I took a quick shower and got my things to go straight into the office.

Today, I conducted another training session at one of the aftercare shelters. Part of my responsibilities at this point of the project is to train the staff of four designated shelters in the job-readiness curriculum which I developed in the first few months I was here. We are hoping that these trainings will lead the shelters to integrate the job and life skills material to better prepare the girls and women for successful reintegration. I love spending time with the staff and getting to know them. I also love sharing a short devotional before the start of each training session. Last time we talked about seeing our work as worship. Today we talked about being generous with our time. And that before we can give ourselves to others, we need to give ourselves first to God. The devotions are drawn from one of my favorite boosk – The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul By Restoring Sabbath by Mark Buchanan. It’s easy to take this kind of liberties when you are working for a Christian human rights organization. I hope the material sinks deep in the hearts of the staff.

In a few hours (12:30 am) my father arrives here in Cebu from California. Then at 5:00 am we all go back to San Carlos to rejoin the Bermejo Clan. I am currently working on the printed program and video tribute for my aunt and also preparing to speak on Friday night at the wake service, which is being held every night this week.

I am tired, and much of me is downcast. So I pray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home