Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In My House


Today I had the opportunity to accompany one of the IJM social workers to a couple home visits where the families of two recently rescued girls live. The homes were located in one of the many squatters or shanty villages here in Cebu. My colleague had prepared me for what I was going to see (and smell). And when we arrived it was all that I was told and then some. Squatters are usually referred to the urban poor who construct their makeshift homes with scraps of metal and wood boards anywhere their is open space. They are landless and their residence are technically in violation of local laws. The above photo is one photographer's captured image of a home here in the Philippines, not unlike the many of the ones I've seen here in the city as well as in the province.

What I saw was a violation of human dignity. Nobody should have to live this way. Our journey to the two homes took us through various left and right turns along tight walkways, many of which led to elevated walkways a few feet above a cesspool of sewage. The bridges made of bamboo poles and stilts, which supported your walk on smaller pieces. My greatest fear was falling into the pool either through an open slot (their were many) or a damaged portion of bridge. The bamboo pieces seemed solidly nailed - none gave way. The only thing that fell into the sewage was my favorite ball point pen. The stench made me dizzy and the heat seemed to make it more offensive. I saw many children - none apparently in school - and all vulnerable for exploitation. I also saw a few adults taking a bath along the elevated walkway path - they were clothed and used the water apparently fetched from somewhere for their daily usage. And of course, I saw one man urinate in what would have been either in the front of his or someone's front doorway.

What I saw inside many of the homes, however, were nicely kept dwellings - simple and small yet clean, some about the size of some walk-in closets I have seen in Orange County homes. I saw dignity despite the surrounding conditions. I ran into some statistic that said that 1 billion or one out of every seven persons on planet earth live as a squatter. This number is simply staggering.

During my visit today, a portion of John 14:2 came to mind and it repeated itself over and over as I walked through the village - "In my Father's house, there are many mansions....." I don't know why, but it brought me some level of peace and hope as I observed the abject poverty.

It wasn't until I later read the entire verse when I became fully encouraged -

"Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house......." And just in case there was any doubt, Jesus adds "if it were no so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

Here in the Philippines a similar promise was made by the Lt. General Douglas McArthur when he proclaimed in 1942 during World War II the famous vow - "I shall return." He kept his promise and became a hero.

My hope is that the 1 billion people tonight will come to know the One who keeps every promise, including the one made in John 14:2. If it were not so, He would've said so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home