Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Day to Remember

Yesterday, a few of the young adults from our home church, Word of Life held a Christmas party at one of the government-run aftercare shelters here in Cebu. Megumi and our two boys also joined in for this outreach event. There are over 40 girls and young women there, and about half of them are IJM clients. To start the festivities, our group led out in a couple Christmas carols, which caused many of the girls to start crying. I was told that the songs reminded them about home, a place perhaps where they wanted to be and/or a place which is one pain and hurt. Megumi said she saw a boy, age 4, also crying, with an expression of longing for something. Among the female residents, a few of them are already mothers themselves, caring for the 7 children also residing in the shelter. Their ages range from infants (there were three of them) to 8 years old.

After singing, we shared the stick puppet show of the Prodigal Son. This was the same show we presented last week at the Holiday Grace Fair. The story was once again narrated in the local dialect as I directed the stick puppets. Megumi's art work once again came alive. We should all remember that this story is not really about a wayward son, but rather a Prodigal Father who is reckless with his love. We prayed that each of the girls would come to know a Father who longs for them, and will run to them even before they can see Him.

Next, we played some really fun games that the girls enjoyed. Laughter and dancing filled the small room. And then we ate - we brought bbq chicken sticks, hanging rice, and then ice cream and fruit cocktail to share. And then we gave gifts - Bundles of Joy - which included soap, lotion, shampoo, and deodorant to each girl. They were so happy. During this entire time, many of the girls were enthralled with Sei and Tomoki. They all thought our boys were so cute. We discovered that many could speak some Japanese as they began to converse with Megumi and our boys. When asked why they knew so much of this language, a couple of the girls admitted that that many of their customers were from Japan. Megumi and I are still trying to collect ourselves from this sad and shameful fact. Many emotions from sadness and shame to anger filled us.....

And then finally, we handed out gifts to each of the seven young children. Each child received a toy that I had the chance of picking out at the mall the previous day. I had little Sei help me give it out, and I will never forget the excitment in the room. Everyone clapped as each child received their gift from Sei. And you should have also seen the smile on my son's face. I don't care if you offered me a son who was extremely gifted in intelligence, music, or sport. I'll take a kid who has a heart of compassion and kindness and excels in generosity in a heartbeat. Hands down. I saw something born in Sei yesterday, and I praise God for the moment. This was exhilerating for Megumi and I to witness.

When we arrived home, I texted our pastor, thanking for his leadership and also mentioned how proud I was to see the small group of young adults share their heart. Pastor in turn also thanked me for our family's heart. I just praised God for His continued work in our family. Megumi, especially, was deeply affected and she is still trying to process everything. We will never forget this day as a family.

Just in case you wondered, we did decide to leave Hana with her neighbor friend yesterday afternoon. Firstly, because she enjoys spending time with this friend. Secondly, I am still struggling on how much we should tell her about our work here. She's only a child.

Dear Abba Father - protect each of Your daughters tonight! Let them know they are loved by You! Bring them back home to you. Run to them even when they are far away and cannot see you. Greet them with your loving arms. We celebrate your prodigal (reckless) love for us! Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home