Thursday, December 18, 2008

To My Filipino-American Friends


Note: If your parents or grandparents were not born here in the Philippines, these posts do not apply to you.

A couple months ago I picked up this little book entitled "12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do to Help Our Country." It is written by Alexander Lacson who is a Filipino attorney in his early 40 years. I enjoyed reading it from cover to cover. The very first page is his dedication:

"To my Creator, who has blessed me with so much, and to my Country, which yearns for love from its people."

And on the back cover, is a response to the question, "Can we change our country by improving on the "little things." A quote by Charles Simmons stated "Life is made up of little things. Greatness follows if we learn to be great in little things." Do not underestimate the power of little things. They can spur a revolution.

Here's Lacson's list and the rest of the book is a discussion on each "little thing."

1. Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.
2. Whenver you buy or pay for anything, always ask for an official receipt.
3. Don't buy smuggled goods. Buy Local. Buy Filipino.
4. When you talk to others, especially foreigners, speak positively about us and our country.
5. Respect your trafffic officer, policeman, and soldier.
6. Don't litter. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate. Recyle. Conserve.
7. Support your church.
8. During elections, do your solemn duty.
9. Pray your employees well.
10. Adopt a scholar or a poor child.
12. Be a good parent. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our country.

The book was an enlightening one, particularly when Lacson talks about the not-so-obvious things - like asking for a sales receipt, which by the way, holds the business accountable for the recording and paying the government the sales tax.

The spirit of Filipino pride was sky-high earlier this month after Pacman slayed Golden Boy Goliath. Filipinos around the world were proud to be Pinoy. It made me think why this meant so much to so many of us. Is it simply because when it comes to huge achievement, so little has been done by fellow Filipinos? Or was it about being drawn to something deeper and almost unexplainable? And why are so many people drawn to Pacman? Is is simply because he's a great fighter? Or is because we are captivated when someone fights for God and country? No one has to worry about Manny forgetting his roots. Much like Lacson, he is well aware that that God blessed him with so much. He also loves his country - one that cries out for so much from its people.

So in this same spirit, I want to share my own ideas of "12 Little (or Big) Things Every Filipino-American Can Do To Help Their Mother Country." I am also becoming increasingly aware that for some reason, God blessed me and my family with so much, and this country does cry out for the love of all who are from here. Bare with me as I will be spreading my ideas throughout the following weeks.

Here's #1: Know where you came from.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this reminder Russ. I was feeling a bit discouraged as I think of the enormity of the work that awaits me when I get back...and often I wonder if it is at all making any difference. you reminded me that little things matter most...I fail to see that sometimes because I'm looking for "spectacular." It has been a pleasure working with you and I am looking forward to what God will accomplish through you this coming year. --Mae S.

December 23, 2008 at 4:54 AM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Thanks Mae for sharing your thoughts. I can relate to all that you said. I am just grateful for the opportunity to serve at IJM and overwhelmed how God uses all of us to do this work. Let's remain weak and dependent so He can get the glory!

December 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home