Sunday, October 26, 2008

Glorious Grace

What a bitter-sweet day today was. It started shortly after midnight when I went to the airport to the pick-up my father, who will be visiting us and his family here in the Philippines for the next three weeks. He arrived with two heavy boxes, much of which was for us. The children woke up to receive from their lolo (grandfather) hugs and kisses and gifts - many gifts from back home. Hana even received school-related goodies from her teacher and classmates back from Orange County. It was Christmas - just two months early. Hana remarked that she was so happy that she was feeling light-headed and that she did not have to receive anything for Christmas. Sei was happy to receive some shoes and a toy airplane. All of us later went to the mall where Lolo bought Tomoki the cutest shoes. Dad was in the mood for spoiling and he even got us a cooking pot. My father is the most generous man I know.

When we arrived home we received the call from my sister and mother that my Auntie Gloria had just taken her last earthly breath after a short fight with brain and lung cancer. She had just been diagnosed with these two conditions only a couple months ago and her health worsened with such swiftness. Within 10 months, my mother will have buried her father and sister and has assumed the care of her mother, age 90 plus, who continues to outlive us all. My mother agreed to allow my father to continue with his planned trip and she will hopefully be surrounded by the love and comfort of family and a Father who promises to never leave us. We also lift up my Uncle Joe and cousin, Andre in their grief. My auntie has also three adult children here the Philippines. I will always cherish my Auntie Gloria (aka Auntie Baby), who was a strong and caring woman, loved to sing with my mother and their lady friends, and who certainly experienced grace both as a receiver and giver. Her life was well-lived not because it was perfect (whose is?), but because she loved and was loved deeply. This is the story of glori-ous grace. This is each of our stories.

As I reflect upon this day, I am reminded of the passage in Luke 11:13 that says "how much more" is the generousity of our Heavenly Father. I think this verse is an important reminder - especially to us who have fathers with huge hearts.

And then the Psalmist - "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me." - Psalms 23

Tonight I lift up my mother and our entire family - who are walking through the valley again. And I also pray that we will all experience the "how-much-more" love of Abba Father.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home