Friday, October 17, 2008

Praises & Requests

TGIF! It is hard to believe that October is half-way over. We will be nearing the quarter mark of our stay here and can't believe how fast time has flown. In fact, I experienced a sense of panic because time is running out on our time here (so much to do, yet such little blah blah blah). I actually need some prayer about this issue of of time (see below). But first - we have so many things to be thankful for, including the following:

- Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit one of the children's shelters where five of our clients are placed in. The shelter was started over 12 years ago by an American pastor and his wife and it currently cares for 70 children and young people. Praise God that our five girls there are doing well there. I was able to meet some of the other children, some of whom have been placed their several years with their siblings. There was such a peaceful orderliness to the place. In the cafeteria, there was some beatifully painted banners reminding how awesome our Heavenly Father is and how he care for us, even when our earthly parents are not capable. Praise God for the shelter, where true religion is lived out (see James 1:27).

- Megumi and Hana planted their small vegetable garden in our backyard. And this week, we have already witnessed a sprout of green beans erupting from the soil. Hana measured it yesterday and it is already 5 inches tall. Simply amazing...

- our helper, named Bonita, whom we hired and welcomed into our home over three weeks ago. Her help around our home (cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, etc) and her affection and attention to our children has been an absolute blessing. Sei loves playing with her as well as praying for her. At mealtimes, he always makes it point to thank God for her.

- this week we received a package from our dear sister, Mia from our home church. The goodies included Korean seasoned seaweed, rice crackers, and seaweed. We were so happy to receive these things, especially the seaweed, which we have enjoyed at every meal.

- we look forward to my father's upcoming visit to the Philippines starting next week. The kids especially are excited to see "Lolo" who has promised to "spoil" them a little when he is here. Yeehaw!

- We continue to praise God for our wide network of people who are supporting us - through prayer, encouraging words, care packages, financial support, etc - Our family is grateful beyond measure because of your heart. Please know that you are very much part of the work of justice here and we pray that God is changing you as much as he is changing us.
As far as requests, we ask that you simply pray for the following:

- the safety and protection of the entire IJM Cebu office - let's just say that seeking justice can upset a few people around town, pray that we never become fearful, but also never careless in terms of our awareness and vigilance.

- the economic self-sufficiency project, which is in need of further expertise and interested partners; pray for the unicorn (see below); pray that I will never be so discouraged or elated that I forget whose Hands this project belongs too.

- pray for the soul of every client we serve here at IJM. We are currently caring for over a 100 girls and women; pray that each of them will come to know and experience the love of Abba Father who loves them beyond measure and wants to make everything in their life - past, present, future - all things new; also pray that IJM and the rest of the Body find ways to bring about their spiritual healing.

- pray that God will redeem my time here; with only 3/4 left, I started worrying a bit about whether I will accomplish all that is set out for me to do. I have this fear of "time wasted" and this burden of "doing what is most important." Pray that I be rescued from these thoughts and that I be reassured that nothing is ever wasted (time or effort) when you are in the center of His will.

- pray for Megumi and the kids and me for that matter - that we are reminded in small or powerful ways that our purpose here is not only about making a difference - but perhaps more importantly, more about how God is changing us and saving us from ourselves - the smallness of our fears and petty desires for anything but Him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! :)
Your blog has so many things I wish we can discuss but mainly I'm glad I've been praying for the things you want me to pray for...Praise our Lord! He unites us in our heart to be an active participant in His plan of salvation! Never feel time wasted because we may not finish the work we started but just like your children in their garden...we can plant...perhaps in the future God will send someone else in your place to water it and harvest it!!!
But isn't it amazing that when we pray to God to be in charge of our life, He reveals His true Goodness pass by us...that we feel desperate to share His love with others who doesn't know Him? I feel the urgency each day of our Lord's return and in that perspective, life seems so short, fragile, and in need of Jesus...especially when I see so much of how
devil has ensnared us to fall in love with this world or so much evil present on earth...I pray earnestly for you, your family, your work, your coworkers and all those precious children. It breaks my heart to even imagine some child is going through those horrible experiences. I just hug my kids a little tighter at night and tell them I love you! I almost died many times already...just yesterday a car turning corner didn't stay on her side...came straight towards me and I honked and barely missed each other...then I think it struck her that she could've died so she abruptly stopped before she drove off...I saw her on my rear view mirror as I tried to recompose myself...after I screamed!!!
There were many moments like that...that I have to thank my angel for protecting me on the road. Remember that all the angels of power and might in heaven is at your disposal when you need them...our God hasn't changed...if need be I'm sure God will let you see all those angels just like he did in the OT! I love the text where it says Love drives out all fear. You have love!!! love for God and all those children ! I'll continue to pray for you and I think we all will be able to look back when your work there is finished and be able to see God's Goodness pass before us...
Be of Good Cheer! Jesus has overcome the world!
your sister in Christ--from OCC

October 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home