Whom Shall I Fear
The following information from Peru was posted on the IJM Institute website on Wednesday, September 17, 2008. When you seek to stop violence and seek justice, violence usually fights back. This is the work and inherent dangers that IJM staff face all over the world. I have such deep admiration for the courage shown by my IJM colleagues day in and day out.
“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and may foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.” Psalm 27
------
“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and may foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.” Psalm 27
------
Mob violence against IJM staff in Peru
IJM’s partner organization in Peru, Paz y Esperanza has been advocating for a victim of sexual violence living in a remote region of the Andes.
Today two social workers and a pastor brought the young client back to her village after a meeting regarding her case. As they arrived, the client’s aggressor recognized their vehicle and incited a mob to attack our staff. The aggressor told the villagers that our staff were “pishtacos” (regional term referring to someone who steals children and sells their organs).
The mob of 300+ angry villagers forcibly accosted our staff and tied them up in the center of the village.
Thankfully, one of the social workers was able to get a phone call in to our head lawyer Richard before they were then bound and beaten by the mob. Richard was able to immediately mobilize 18 police from Huanuco and drive with them the 2 hour journey to the rural village and break up the mob before further damage was done.
Please pray for these social workers and the pastor, as well as the client. Pray for peace and healing from this turmoil. And please join us in praising God for his protection. It is a miracle that so many police were ready and willing to deploy and to bring rescue in a town that does not have the benefit of a public security or justice system.
Please pray for the hundreds of millions of others in our world today who live without the protection of the law or its enforcers.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home