Highlights & Lowlights
Apologies for not posting all week. It's been a busy week for me both at work and at home (photos of our new place just posted below). Here are some highlights as well as lowlights.
- finally purchased the clothes washer; unfortunately, I have to manually fill the tub with water and drain it afterwards myself. The drainage hose and the extension are not tight, thus leaving a wet mess on the kitchen floor where the washer is located. Then afterwards, time to hang dry. Let's say we miss our Maytag washer and dryer at home.
- To top things off, after emptying the very first load, I saw at the bottom of the tub, my iPod Shuffle. This is the second time I have washed this thing. I thought it was dead, but it came back to life when I tried to turn it on months later. I am praying for the same resurrection. One factor that may keep it from drying out completely - 550% humidty here.
- for the second week in a row, I hit my head on a low-lying (hard) object. Two weeks ago I hit my head trying to get into a pedi-cab; this week, I ran right into a tree branch. The only low-lying fruit was my head. Both incidents resulted in scrapes and cuts. When my co-workers looked at my head asked what happened, I simply told them that I'm too tall for the Philippines. Update: Megumi today ran right into an open window pane inside our house, resulting in a gash on her nose bridge. She was traumatized by this so much she called me at work. I told her "been there done that" and not to worry about the potential scar. Many years from now we will be able to look at our faces and remember our first week together in Cebu.
- Hana has made a good friend with Autumn, age 10, who lives across the street with her family, who are missionaries here in Cebu. Both of these girls, who are both shy, seemed to hit it off within a day. What a blessing their friendship will be in the upcoming year. Now Sei needs to find a friend - soon, before he goes off on his sister. This week was full of both play and fighting. I can only imagine what is going through their little minds as we find ourselves here.
- our four boxes, which we shipped from 6 weeks ago, finally arrived. It is like Christmas opening them up and finding many of our belongings which make us feel more at home (ie. food from Trader Joes, books, and toys).
- finally purchased the clothes washer; unfortunately, I have to manually fill the tub with water and drain it afterwards myself. The drainage hose and the extension are not tight, thus leaving a wet mess on the kitchen floor where the washer is located. Then afterwards, time to hang dry. Let's say we miss our Maytag washer and dryer at home.
- To top things off, after emptying the very first load, I saw at the bottom of the tub, my iPod Shuffle. This is the second time I have washed this thing. I thought it was dead, but it came back to life when I tried to turn it on months later. I am praying for the same resurrection. One factor that may keep it from drying out completely - 550% humidty here.
- for the second week in a row, I hit my head on a low-lying (hard) object. Two weeks ago I hit my head trying to get into a pedi-cab; this week, I ran right into a tree branch. The only low-lying fruit was my head. Both incidents resulted in scrapes and cuts. When my co-workers looked at my head asked what happened, I simply told them that I'm too tall for the Philippines. Update: Megumi today ran right into an open window pane inside our house, resulting in a gash on her nose bridge. She was traumatized by this so much she called me at work. I told her "been there done that" and not to worry about the potential scar. Many years from now we will be able to look at our faces and remember our first week together in Cebu.
- Hana has made a good friend with Autumn, age 10, who lives across the street with her family, who are missionaries here in Cebu. Both of these girls, who are both shy, seemed to hit it off within a day. What a blessing their friendship will be in the upcoming year. Now Sei needs to find a friend - soon, before he goes off on his sister. This week was full of both play and fighting. I can only imagine what is going through their little minds as we find ourselves here.
- our four boxes, which we shipped from 6 weeks ago, finally arrived. It is like Christmas opening them up and finding many of our belongings which make us feel more at home (ie. food from Trader Joes, books, and toys).

2 Comments:
Hi Russ, Megumi and children,
We have been praying for you regularly even though we were gone for three weeks to Boston right after you left for Cebu. Then I came home to our internet being down. It is now up and running so I wanted to let you know how much i have enjoyed your postings. I wish i were there to help Megumi wash the clothes and hang them to dry. I have had plenty of experience with that. Now as far as making goat stew!? well, we did butcher our own beef cattle so i guess this little goat would be no problem at all!! I am glad you find humor in all the challenges and I am glad you have relatives there and family to visit soon.
Russ, I am reading My Utmost for His Highest and thought of a paragraph that I thought fit your situation;If I am devoted solely to the cause of humanity, I will soon be exhausted and stumble. But if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, i can serve humanity even though people treat me like a "doormat".
Give Sei and Tomoki and Hana a big hug for us. Love you much! Jan and Roger Lang
Hi Jan & Roger, thank you for sharing Oswald Chamber's thoughts. I continue to read My Utmost For His Highest here after using this devotional for years. Some incredible stuff, many of which hits like a laser.
We appreciate your continued prayers.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home