Monday, September 15, 2008

Intriguing

For some odd reason I have an intriguing face. For example, everyone thinks they have met me before. This happened a lot in the states and its starting to happen here. I'm in the office of the vice-mayor of Cebu last Thursday, and one of the first things he says as we sit down is "I think we've met before" and "your face looks familar." Of course, I have never met the man before. Another common remark is "you look like my cousin's friend's neighbor's co-worker" or something like that.

Last Sunday, we are having a dinner with a friend of Megumi's cousin, who happens to be a Japanese tour guide working here in Cebu. He married a Filipina and they have two beautiful daughters. It was an interesting evening with their family. Since his Filipino wife did not speak much English nor Cebuano (local dialect), I ended up asking her questions in Japanese. This was a bit weird as you can imagine. Half-way through the our dinner, the wife comments that I look Filipino. I told her that I was, and she was so surprised. Apparently she didn't know, but she kept on thinking - he looks filipino. I don't know if my crappy Japanese language skills threw her off, or if she thought I was Italian (as one person guessed years ago).

Numerous taxi drivers, waitresses, store clerks, etc are also intrigued when they hear my family speak in Japanese while I talk to them in American English. They can't figure us out.

And then for the kicker - last week, l get into a taxi and the driver keeps on looking at me after I told him where to drive me. I thought he was going to ask where I was from or make some comment about me looking filipino. After a few repeated glances he told me "You look like Charles Barkley." For a second he probably thought that the former NBA star (Filipinos love basketball) just got into his cab. I think my shiny dome and 5 foot 4 frame threw him off. I told him that he was the second person that has told me that I look like Charles Barkley (seriously).

Hilarious.

One more thing, Megumi's brother thinks I look like Tiger Woods. I just wish I earned half the change probably lost in his pocket or sofa cushions right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, if you were 6 foot 4 you could really pull it off

October 15, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home