Saturday, August 30, 2008

Airport Pics

Here are some photos of our family last week in Manila. Special thanks to my cousins, Chris and Chona (Bermejo) who met up with me and helped our family get the domestic terminal. They are both funny and very kind. The taxi rides from the international terminal to the domestic one can be a bit tricky. We decided to catch one of the vans, which cost us 150 pesos (a little over $3) for the 10 minute ride. The only unreasonable thing about this arrangement was the driver. Right when he arrived at our destination, he asked for a big a tip. He literally said to me, with a smile, "please give me a big tip." I gave him 200 pesos, which included the tip, but he insisted on more. Apparently, he thought he saw an US Dollar bill (45 pesos) in my wallet, but the only money I had was a 1,000 pesos. I don't know what he saw, but he was not happy when I offered him a 20 peso bill and insisted on the (phantom) $1 bill in my wallet. In fact, he refused to take the 20 pesos, and said something in Cebuano, which sounded like "you stingy cheap Filipino-American."

I was grateful that he brought us to the terminal safely, though.
This is a new carrier for Megumi and Tomoki. So far its working out well. Tomoki looks like a koala bear!

Megumi and Chona talking up a storm during their short meeting.

Bermejo Boys. My cousin, Chris, actually looks like my dad in his younger years. Chris works as a trainer for Chili's Restaurant (American establishment) in Manila. We had a good time talking about nasty foreigners.

The photo below is funny for some reason. I should run a contest for the best caption.

Two of my very beautiful children. Hana, who looks as filipino as any other 8 year old here (Daddy's genes) and my son, Tomoki, whose name and eyes are "very Japanese."

6 Comments:

Blogger Orange Coast Church said...

Just sent a reply but it didn't go through. I'll try again. We miss you and are happy that things are going well for you. We continue to pray for you. God bless. - Pastor Ken

September 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Russ and Familia...we miss ya at the office....Emilio, Lydia, Ella , Rosa, Mark, Rosalinda....the cul de sac misses you and your family...be safe out there....emilio

September 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah says hi too....!!!

September 5, 2008 at 5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Russ, Patrick here. Just thinking about you and family. I am praying for all of you. Glad to hear you have found a place and are settling in. Everyone here sends their love. We miss you all very much. God is using you for such an important work. We may have found a new church building to call home for OCC. We'll let you know as details progress.
Peace and love,
Patrick Bitzer

September 5, 2008 at 5:54 AM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Thank you all - from OCC to OC SSA for your posts here. I miss you all - really.

September 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Russ and family:
Jeff and I read all of your blog posts since your arrival in Cebu. God has blessed you with safe travel, a place to live, and lots of local "pets". Keep your chin up, but your head down. We are all praying for you and send our love.

Jeff and Val Horne

September 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home