Joy Made Complete
Physically, I'm feeling great today. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but completing an event such as a half-marathon with hardly any consistent training at age 40 while pushing a jogger strolller the entire way, things could have turned out quite badly for me. As far as ailments, the only physical things I experienced during the race were a minor blister on a small toe and some cramping in both quads. Of course there are heavy legs and just fatigue when you are not in running shape.
I thought God showed me a lot of grace in spite of our poor preparation. Some days He just wants you to show up and He'll take care of the rest. That's what happened on Sunday, and I am grateful.
Tragically, a 46 year old man collapsed and died near the finish line on Sunday. He was only a 100 yards from the finish when he collapsed. The video below which I captured towards the finish line is probably where this tragedy occurred. Of course, I didn't know about what happened until later in the evening. Our lives our a mist. Although we are to cherish every day, the only way this life makes sense is to know that there is something "more" beyond it. I was reminded that it really isn't about simply showing up. It's part of the journey, but the journey is only complete if we move beyond the finish line. Only there will you find your joy complete.
My favorite t-shirt slogan on the race course was this: "Pain is weakness leaving your body." Indeed it is true. Trials are weakness leaving your body. I'm finding this out right now as I continue to endure this season of my life, including my current unemployment. But with each passing week and month, I sense a resilience and strength in me that I would not otherwise experience if not for the struggle. The book of James reminds me to consider it a joy when I'm going through a trial (1:2) - one of the most baffling statements in Scripture. But it makes more sense to me these days.
So I look at this entire season as a time of shaping towards a joy that is becoming full - yet not complete - at least not until I reach the other side.
In the meantime, I keep on running.
The video opens up with a bystander shouting out some real encouragement -
"The baby's going to beat you!"
I thought God showed me a lot of grace in spite of our poor preparation. Some days He just wants you to show up and He'll take care of the rest. That's what happened on Sunday, and I am grateful.
Tragically, a 46 year old man collapsed and died near the finish line on Sunday. He was only a 100 yards from the finish when he collapsed. The video below which I captured towards the finish line is probably where this tragedy occurred. Of course, I didn't know about what happened until later in the evening. Our lives our a mist. Although we are to cherish every day, the only way this life makes sense is to know that there is something "more" beyond it. I was reminded that it really isn't about simply showing up. It's part of the journey, but the journey is only complete if we move beyond the finish line. Only there will you find your joy complete.
My favorite t-shirt slogan on the race course was this: "Pain is weakness leaving your body." Indeed it is true. Trials are weakness leaving your body. I'm finding this out right now as I continue to endure this season of my life, including my current unemployment. But with each passing week and month, I sense a resilience and strength in me that I would not otherwise experience if not for the struggle. The book of James reminds me to consider it a joy when I'm going through a trial (1:2) - one of the most baffling statements in Scripture. But it makes more sense to me these days.
So I look at this entire season as a time of shaping towards a joy that is becoming full - yet not complete - at least not until I reach the other side.
In the meantime, I keep on running.
The video opens up with a bystander shouting out some real encouragement -
"The baby's going to beat you!"

2 Comments:
We ARE so related! I don't care if they can't prove it. The Bermejo blood is potent!
Hey Nannette - there is no way we come from the same Bermejo line. You are taller than 4 ft 11 and you like to run.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home