Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Change


What an incredible thing the entire world witnessed today as the United States of America adminstered the oath of its new president, Barack Obama. Having been abroad for the last six months (exactly), I feel like I missed out on the huge political and historical waves his campaign and eventual election created. Typically, I love to talk politics. But I only got bits and pieces of what was going on in America and frankly had no real grasp of the debates and the campaigns of any of the candidates. I didn't even have the chance to vote as a result of my shameful lack of preparation to get my absentee ballot in. Even early this morning, I tried to watch the inaugaration on the internet (which would have occurred at 1 am Cebu time), but my interent connection crapped out, and I ended up having to miss it all. I feel like I missed out being part of shaping and witnessing history, a feeling that millions of Americans felt particulalry during this election.

But I do recognize that each of us - citizens or residents of this awesome United States of America - have a role and responsibility in making not only our country great but the world a more humane and just place. I was able to read the transcript of President Obama's speech and was struck by the following section. President Obama reminded us that the courage and honor that exists in soliders exists in all of us - even the ultimate humanitarian - mothers (!!!!). For those mothers right now who are reading this - let me tell you this - caring for your child(ren) right now is the greatest human right work and ministry you can perform. It is holy, God-given, and infinitely important. Imagine what our churches, our communities, and the world would look like if we just focused on Godly parenting.

Back to Obama's speech:

---
"As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages. We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment — a moment that will define a generation — it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all.

For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate."

-
I don't care what your politics are, whether you believe that Obama is the anti-christ or today's JFK. But what he says is true. Real change happens inside-out. Real change is the revolution of the heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger ERuss said...

Revolution of the Mind - from Romans 12

1 And so, dear brothers and sisters,[a] I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.[b] 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
3 Because of the privilege and authority[c] God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.[d] 4 Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, 5 so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.

January 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite verses!
Thank you for posting and reminding me how impportant my role is as a mom...sometimes I'm too exhausted to know that! :)
That's the 2nd time I heard about starting a revolution inside out...first time was when I took Bible class in the Walla Walla College when a professor taught us on Beattitudes...That it was radical and new. That Jesus was inviting us to a new revolutionary way of thinking...challenging us to change inside out...to recognize our need of Him so that He can fill us, Then we could BLESS others. God has to transform us by changing the way we think...gotta go take care of my family. Curtis is sick(caught cold from Allie who caught it from Eric, who caught it from someone at school...)I'm thankfully ok. If I get sick...our family falls apart! Back to our ginger tea!!!

January 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home