My Heart is Frightening
TGIF! This week has been one of those weeks in which the dark cloud cover of busyness and burden hovered over our family. It started with Hana running away (as far as the front gate) and that drama, although short-lived, created a delay long enough to keep us from church. Then, I had to hit the floor running this first week back in the office. This month will be busy for me and the Project, which culmintate in a written report outlining the job readiness model I developed and a stakeholders meeting in which we will exchange ideas. A couple days ago, Megumi asked me a question that made me nervous "Aside from when you were feeling homesick, have you wanted to go back home?" I told her no and I then asked "why?" She admitted for about one minute earlier that day she wanted to pack everything up and go - all this while the kids were battling it out with each other. Also, the news of an local prosecutor attorney ambushed and killed here in Cebu City by two assailants riding on a motorcycle raised some anxiety in the office about our personal safety since it is suspected that it may have been work-related.
And then there was this morning.
I borrowed some music - Best of Passion Worship 2-CD disk set from a co-worker, and I was listening to it on the way to work this morning. I loved the songs and artists on this set - Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, David Crowder - my heart soared to praise as I was sitting in the taxi going into the office - almost to tears. As the taxi arrived right in front of the office building, I took out a 100 peso bill (about $2) to pay for the 85 peso taxi fare. I took off my earbuds from my iPod shuffle only to hear the taxi driver say that he had no change. He didn't even bother to look for the 15 pesos he owed me. I was incredulous. I stared at him and his only response was "Thank-you." With a shake of my head, I jumped out of the taxi and slammed the door.
It is frightening how fast my heart turned from praise to rage - it took about 3 seconds. Over 33 cents.
I usually say exchange greetings with the cafe people and the security guard going into the building, but this morning I don't even remember doing that. I hate to think what my face looked like.
By the time I got into the elevator, the Spirit slammed me. The only thing I could murmur to myself was "Lord have mercy on me a sinner."
The song I was listenening to right before I was ready to go postal was Chris Tomlin's We Fall Down, reminding me that every day, every moment, we must throw ourselves upon His mercy and love. Our hearts are trash and we need Him every second. Megumi told me that during that mid-week crisis when she wanted to pack it up, she prayed to her Heavenly Father to help her through the moment. Despite her desire to escape, she threw herself at His feet. Her heart turned from anger and despair to praise within seconds. I'm glad someone in this family knows how to abide and rest in Him.
And then there was this morning.
I borrowed some music - Best of Passion Worship 2-CD disk set from a co-worker, and I was listening to it on the way to work this morning. I loved the songs and artists on this set - Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, David Crowder - my heart soared to praise as I was sitting in the taxi going into the office - almost to tears. As the taxi arrived right in front of the office building, I took out a 100 peso bill (about $2) to pay for the 85 peso taxi fare. I took off my earbuds from my iPod shuffle only to hear the taxi driver say that he had no change. He didn't even bother to look for the 15 pesos he owed me. I was incredulous. I stared at him and his only response was "Thank-you." With a shake of my head, I jumped out of the taxi and slammed the door.
It is frightening how fast my heart turned from praise to rage - it took about 3 seconds. Over 33 cents.
I usually say exchange greetings with the cafe people and the security guard going into the building, but this morning I don't even remember doing that. I hate to think what my face looked like.
By the time I got into the elevator, the Spirit slammed me. The only thing I could murmur to myself was "Lord have mercy on me a sinner."
The song I was listenening to right before I was ready to go postal was Chris Tomlin's We Fall Down, reminding me that every day, every moment, we must throw ourselves upon His mercy and love. Our hearts are trash and we need Him every second. Megumi told me that during that mid-week crisis when she wanted to pack it up, she prayed to her Heavenly Father to help her through the moment. Despite her desire to escape, she threw herself at His feet. Her heart turned from anger and despair to praise within seconds. I'm glad someone in this family knows how to abide and rest in Him.

3 Comments:
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." 1Tim 1:15,16
I felt how you felt about how quickly we fall... more times than I can mention. Paul experienced it too. We can find comfort in these verses...because Paul doesn't just stop and focus on how we always fall down...but he points to Jesus. He points out that he realized Jesus used him to display His UNLIMITED patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Same way, we can be thankful that He's showing us mercy...only we know what that means to us. Doesn't that make you want to PRAISE God? I do!!!! Have mercy on me O Lord!!!! Our ugly inner self is exposed to us to plain sight but I 'd rather that happen to me now where He and I can deal with it...then to be out in the open for the whole world to see without Him. Remember how King David was after the visit from Samuel? How embarrassing was that and how shameful...but just as David's ugly heart was finally exposed openly...God also forgave him and showed him mercy...and blessed him. Ultimately if we dwell upon our shortcomings, we may miss out something about our God...that He is ever so patient with sinners...and wants to save us. You're not alone... hang in there!!! I'm praying for you!
give your family hugs for me!
sister in Christ,OCC
Hi Sister from OCC, your encouragement means a lot. I agree with everything you shared. I should also say that I consider it mercy that God does not give me to my sinful flesh without sending His Spirit quickly to convict me. It seems the closer that the closer I am to Jesus, the time between sin/relapse and confession is shorter and shorter. By sending his Spirit of truth (like the prophet Nathan) I am not allowed to stay in my wrongdoing and rationalize my sin. This is another form of His grace.
I agree - full immediate exposure is always better than hiding. It's crazy to think we can hide anything from Him.
I think because of our past experience with Jesus of how he's dealt with us when we confess...we realize we can go boldly before Him and know that He would still love us no matter how bad we messed up. Before I knew Jesus personally, I was always afraid to approach Him. I wasn't sure if He'd reject me or be ashamed of me. Stems from the sermons I've heard in the past...relationship I formed with Jesus at that time was still a hear say...by listening to sermons or hearing someone else share their testimony or by reading. But since I came to OCC I learned alot and Pastor Studer clarified alot of the questions I had in my heart. But it wasn't until recently last year that I realized that I can live here on earth and yet be in His Kingdom! Then my mind did a complete turn around!!! Things started making sense when I read the Bible and everything including my daily life made sense and became more exciting! I felt alive and really saw the value of the Spirit!!! without the Holy Spirit we are absolutely dead!!! I used to go through experience like your example at work all the time before...then I was disappointed at myself and would get all mad...then I came across a verse from Paul where he says keeping peace is better then my getting what's right and fair...He pointed out that Jesus was never treated fairly all His life...and yet He handled it with love...we're not just fighting that person who did us wrong but the whole darkness of war against God and His way of ruling the universe. God says to love others abundantly....it's hard for me sometimes, I think part of the reason (not excuse but trying to understand) is because I always want things to be fair to everyone...and get defensive over the weak ones...it's probably from reading/watching all the superheros when I was a kid...anyway, Paul is trying to help us think bigger than ourselves...to see the bigger picture of God's plan...It became easier to deal with my coworker...I started seeing her as a person whom God loves and not as a person who's trying to just bug me or take advantage of me...
Russ, I always kept everything in my head because my day to day struggles just seem so trivial to others but it's a big discovery and victory for me...it's my realization that Holy Spirit has shined some new truth about God that I didn't know before...which again makes me realize how much God loves me!!! Then when I read about how you are experiencing similar stuff as me in my life...I feel the JOY in my heart! I am not alone!!! I praise God every time I read your blogg because you 're more braver than me to even say anything out loud! That's why I always say thank you for sharing on your blogg! We are moving to the right direction! gotta go but thanks for responding! I think you know who I am ... :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home