Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sponsor a Bible or Empty Your Closet


A couple weeks ago I sent a request to my home church, Orange Coast Church in California about a need to purchase a supply of Bibles to girls and women in the aftercare shelters here in Cebu. We would and should make the Word readily available to anyone who would want one. I told my church that we would like to purchase at least 150 Bibles priced at about $2-3 each. Initially I stated that the Bibles would be in the local Cebuano dialect, but I have since found out that having a supply of English Bibles in a modern (easier-to-read) translation would also be helpful.

I would like to extend the invitation to any of you who would be interested in being part of this special opportunity. Let me know if you would be interested in helping out.

A few weeks ago, I posted a video of Michele who talked about how much the Bible she received through her Compassion International sponsor meant to her. Imagine what it would mean to a trafficking survivor who needs to know that she is loved by her Heavenly Father, who sent His Son, Jesus to die for her. This is one of those small investments with huge (eternal) returns.

PS. In December we received two large boxes of used clothing from some dear friends, and they were all given away to the girls in our shelters or boys at a youth diversion shelter facility here in Cebu. You would be amazed how happy these kids were to receive a pair of pants or a shirt or blouse or even some used shoes. If you are interested in sending over some clothes you no longer need, please let me know. We'll find a way to ship them here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone sends or brings clothes to our church office(OCC) in Irvine, I'll wash them and send them to you. I'll announce it this sabbath which is tommorrow. or better yet, I'll ask Patrick to announce it . I'll have the big boxes next week at church. I'll call all the people I can to remind them. Also, I planned to have people contribute up to Valentines day...then it'll take a month to get there...also, I'm teaching Kindergarten class Feb so I'll give our little ones a chance to participate by making a Valentine's day card so you can give them to the little ones in Cebu. I worked extra day today so that should help me cover the mailing cost! :) This is so exciting!!! oh, I bought a big box of Desire of Ages...they're brand new and paperback. would you be able to give them that book along with Bible? i think you know who i am so i'll sign off with anonymous...but let me know what you think. you can comment back here or my fb or my email! i hope we can meet your goal of those bibles!!!

January 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was just thinking...I was going to use money i earned to send you clothes(shipping fee is $100)...but if i just send you the money, you can get at least 100 bibles...what should i do???? should i just send you the money to buy the bibles?

January 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Hi Anonymous - thank you for your heart. And thank you Ella - my former co-worker at SSA who also expressed an interest in sponsoring the Bibles. I love the idea of getting the little ones involved. Thanks for collecting the items and getting them ready. Let's not worry about the shipping at this point. Once we have all the stuff together, we can think about the best way. The Bibles are probably the most immediate need. So any monetary support will go to purchasing those and sharing them with the girls. Thank you again. And God bless.

January 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I'll just send it to your sister Mon!

January 17, 2009 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Hi Anonymous and Ella - so grateful for your heart. If you would like, it would be great if you could write just a short letter to any girl or young women who will open up the Bible you have sponsored. A short little dedication note (you can email it to me) expressing your thoughts of encouragement and your prayers for her as she reads the Bible will be a nice touch to your already kind gesture. Let me know.

January 17, 2009 at 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok! :)

January 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Sabbath Russ, Megumi, Hana, Sei,Little Smoky,
I decided last week to be the go to person to give clothes for your girls. I am collecting them now and Mia is giving me the info to send them. I would like to get 50 outfits together, i.e. tee shirt and pants or capris etc. I cleaned my closet already and have soome clothes from a neighbor. We will wait to send a box until we have it full. I would like to send it by valentines day. I heard that we could buy bibles at the 99 cent store but I went to three and couldn't find any. Nikka was the one who told me so I told her to see if she could find them. They are paperback and she said the New International version. That would be nice if she could find any. I pray for you and your family to experience more of God's power in your life so he can be praised in all that happens in your day to day happenings. I love your blog and love your resources in books. I am reading every day My Utmost for His Highest and this is the second time around. I am going to continue every year because it is so loaded with what I need for my sinful life! We love you guys, Jan Lang

January 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home