Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shocking Story

For a daily dose of provocation, may I suggest reading Seth Barne's blog "Radical Living in a Comfortable World." It is on this website that I came across one shocking story about a 3-year sold for sex here in the Philippines. This story was posted late last year.

Fortunately, there is some good news, which was recently posted.

If you scroll down to the lists of comments, you will see the one posted by Sarah Hastings, who refused to sit and do nothing. Here is a portion of her remarks, which reminded me that in this world, there are wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs. I want to brave enough to be a sheepdog.

Hastings posted:

Since then I've spent much time trying to develop support and compassion, not just for MA but for PCF and the people of the Philippines. Through all I've done, I've received very minimal response... and I've struggled to understand how they could NOT react the way I have to this story. I've gone through many emotions, but in the end, it is simply my hope that there is some other story that will grab their hearts. This one was the one for me, but for others maybe it will be another.

And I guess maybe that's the crux of this... I felt not the whisper but the YELLING of God in my ear. HELP HIM.... and I did. I'm thankful for that, because otherwise his face might have been lost with all the others I've seen over time. If you're feeling overwhelmed by the needs of this world, seek His voice. Figure out what He wants you to do... and then just do it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why Mother Theresa's quotation rescued me . I was overwhelmed by all the depressing and horrible things going on in this world. My mind and heart was immobilized and I felt helpless and didn't know what to do or which stuff to help etc...there seems to be so many needs...in the end...I decided to pray and let the Holy Spirit guide and direct me. My burden feels lifted and light and I actually feel free! doing something however small is better than nothing and it matters that I participated! To know that I'm doing all for Jesus is just an icing on a cake! :)

January 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Wow - that is always great way to live - pray - listen and let the Spirit guide - and then follow. Then comes freedom!!!!

It's a simple formula, but we want to short-circuit it oftentimes. Thank you for this powerful reminder.

January 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home