When We Forsake Others, We Forsake Ourselves
We've all heard all the rationalizations not to help the poor and needy, some of which are mentioned in the video above.
- they should just get a job; they're just lazy; if you don't work, you don't eat.
- they are just going to use the money I give them on drugs or alcohol
- I helped them before and I just got burned.
- they're ungrateful
- it's not my responsibility if their government is corrupt
- my donation will never get to them
- the need is so immense, can I really make a difference?
- Jesus is coming soon and he's going to make things right for everybody.
- It's not my spiritual gift; it's not our church's gifting.
- sharing the gospel is more important
- too bad for them
- helping them is just to dirty and unsafe
- they might do something bad to me
- I have to take care of my own family.
- There's poor people here in the States, too.
- I'm poor too; I don't have much to give; I'll do more when I have more
- We should do more, but when will you know you've done enough?
- Just another form of legalism; that's trying to earn your way to heaven
- That's not really what the parable is about.
- I'll just pray about it for now.
- My relationship with Jesus is the most important
- I already gave at church
I've said all these myself and even good-hearted people as well. Each one seems legitimate and rational. Until the Spirit of Christ convicts such thinking and reminds us that He loves us recklessly and makes no excuses or rationalizations not to love us (that is grace). The Spirit also reminds us that we were created for glorious things and we diminish His magnificent design with such small thinking. Our response then should be confession - "Yes Father - have mercy on me a sinner."
And then petition - asking Him to change our hearts and expressing your desire to really have a heart like His. I was reading Brennan Manning's book "The Ragmuffin Gospel" this morning over a cup of instant coffee and ran into this simple prayer:
"Lord Jesus, Savior, Servant...help me to dream again. Rekindle in my heart that fire of the disciple who sees his calling everywhere, hears your invitation everywhere, reaches out to Your children in great need...everywhere. I really do want to live Your life in mine--to serve, to care, to give, to sing Your song--for your glory and pleasure. Amen."
PS. I am intrigued by the last statement on the video and would love to hear your interpretation or response - "When we forsake the lives of others, we actually forsake our own." What does this mean to you?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home