Friday, November 7, 2008

Back Home(?)

We are back home in Cebu, although a day late. A storm hit the Visayas yesterday, and all scheduled boat and ferry trips were cancelled due to poor sea conditions. So we had an extra day to spend with the Bermejo Clan. Our kids enjoyed the entire day playing with their cousins. It was a lot of fun to see them have so much fun with each other. Of course, my dad was very happy to see them so happy. We are happy to be home after living out of our suitcases for much of the last two weeks.

Unfortunately, we had to wake up at 4 am this morning to catch the first boat ride back to Cebu. The ferry ride was only 90 minutes to Cebu island and then another 90 minutes taxi ride to Cebu City. We were home in less than 4 hours. We enjoyed seeing the sun emerge over the calm seas during early dawn. I came home to shave and shower and then went back to work. It was nice to see my co-workers after several days away. Unfortunately, the power electricity went out in the office for most of the day, so whatever work we could do, including attending a meeting in the afternoon, was completed in the "dark."

Although we had a good time in San Carlos, my mind was restless, and my soul downcast throughout most of my time there. I admitted to Megumi yesterday that I am feeling homesick for first time since our arrival over three months ago. My dad will be returning back home next week and there is a part of me that just wants to pack-up the family and go back home with him. Last Friday night we had dinner with a pastor from Southern Cal, and to hear that he was leaving on Saturday so he could preach on Sunday made home so close yet so far. Thousands of miles of ocean and nine months away - that's how far we are from home. Megumi later admitted to feeling the same thing.

I miss my Auntie Gloria, I miss my Lolo Layon, Lolo and Lola Bermejo, and all those who are now enjoying eternal rest in Christ. It seems like I have become increasingly restless, never truly at peace with life under the sun. Although we are enjoying ourselves immensely here, there are constant reminders every day here that this is not home. If you've traveled and/or lived abroad, you know this feeling or experience. And then to see how people suffer here and for that matter, everywhere - it seems like our entire existence is one of groaning.

Perhaps, this is what Paul describing when he says that our earthly bodies are "groaning" for something eternal (2 Corinthians 5). And if you want to know how meaningful and satisfying life under the sun is read what what the wisest man had to say about it all in the Book of Ecclesiastes. In this same book, Soloman reminds us that our disenchantment here stems from what has been planted in our hearts - a desire for eternal things. Many times the Word reminds us that this place is not our home and in a sense, we are to live out of our suitcases, traveling light throughout our time here.

This is what I love about Scripture - it always seems to re-orientate me - serving as a compass leading me to True North. More than ever, I want Jesus to come. Soon. Now. Anytime now would be good. When I was younger, I could give you a list of things I wanted to do FIRST before Jesus came back. Now that list is zero. I want to go home.

Until then, there is work to be done. Christ needs to be shared and my character needs to be shaped into being more and more like Him.

Pauls says: "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.

Restless, yet certain. Weary yet steadfast. We should all be homesick for Home.

By the way, I heard we have elected a new president. Don't even know who this man Obama is..........

3 Comments:

Blogger ERuss said...

"But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eargerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control." - Philippians 3:20-21

November 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how The Holy Spirit works in us no matter where we are.
I felt how you're feeling about homesick for heaven and wondered if anyone else felt that way. I can relate to what you're saying about how you thought about Jesus coming back...and how you wish Him to delay His return...for me, I not only wanted to do many things...but I felt somehow I or someone else I loved wasn't ready so I wanted Him to delay His coming...but now I want Him to come...tomorrow if possible! or today! There isn't anything here on earth that I desire so much that I don't want Jesus to return. I know this sounds a little selfish, but I want Him to come regardless of how old my kids are etc...I want Him to come and take us to heaven. I think my thinking changed since I understood what heaven actually is...Heaven is where God is. Heaven is within us because God is in our hearts. We can experience Heaven here now no matter where we are. But I long to see His face. I want to see His face and tell Him how much I love Him and how grateful I am that He died for me. I do that here in prayer but I want to give Him a big Hug. I've let go of everything I cherish here on earth...there's nothing here that I am absolutely crazy about. I look around and wonder if anyone else feels like that...and to hear you say that really comforts me and strengthens me immensely! It's so amazing and I praise God for all that our Holy Spirit does!!!
It's miraculous how He's changed my thinking, about everything. I feel so close to you truely as my christian brother because over the past years, it seems that you always seems to verbalize what I'm going through or thinking or feeling...I remember when you mentioned how fearful you are of uncertainty when we give EVERTHING to God...to take charge of our life, I felt that...and always tried to give everything to God but decided to keep just a little to myself to control...but in the end I felt frustrated with all the internal struggles I was having...It wasn't until I literally gave up everything...all my hidden secrets of sin, guilt, resentments, anger, disappointments, hurt etc etc etc...oh yeah, embarrassments from my failures and short comings...all the little flaws of my character...after I "gave up" all THAT, I found out that my life felt light as feather, relieved, and gave me this attitude toward's Devil's accusations at me...it made me more bold to claim Jesus' sacrifice and embrace His gift. How precious His gift is!!!!!
I found out that He truely is LOVE,and instead of condemnations I feared like Mary, I felt God's love and grace even more!!! Since then, I just want to share that with others. What do we really give up??? nothing. Why do we have so much stuggles within our selves? I think it's because we're in love with this world...I'm finding that everything we love have to be questioned because it can either draw us closer to heaven or seperate us from that desire to have Jesus' return...or get caught up so much with what the world offers that I 'm not even aware of how close His coming is...like sleeping ...I don't want Him to delay His coming for anything!!!!!
Now especially knowing that Jesus has entered into the most Holy place on behalf of us...I feel time is short!!!! That's why I'm so thankful you're there! I pray for you and your family, your co workers and all those children you're helping. It takes miracles for them to feel God's love...but that's God's desire and will and He will answer our prayers! I believe that. I understand your feeling homesick just as much as we miss you guys here, but time is short and the rest of the 9 months will fly by...I'm glad that you're there and not someone else, if you didn't feel all that, you wouldn't care of what's going on...we hurt because we care. I was so affected by the pictures and articles you wrote about how the children are treated...By God using you as a voice to speak out for those children, my life is completely changed. Before I wasn't aware of all that, infact, I thought this world is NICER...but I realize now, how much more evil it truely is!!!! It's not just bad...it's evil and hideous !!!! I try to share that info with anyone I can...
sorry, I'm writing too long, welp, hopefully my care package will get there soon and bring cheer to your hearts!!!!!!
Love,
sister from OC
oh, please give hugs to your children for me!!!!! :D

November 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM  
Blogger ERuss said...

"For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.

Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.

Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News. Don’t be intimidated in any way by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God himself. For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. We are in this struggle together. You have seen my struggle in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of it." - Philippians 1:20-30

Dear Sister OC,

Thank you for your sharing your "restless" thoughts. You have encouraged me with your heart, which too, desires nothing more than to experience the sweetness of Christ now and forever. We will continue to be restless until we get home - where we will become what we were created to be and be with whom we we were created for. There we will no longer be rest-less but be at complete rest.

Let's continue to be bold for Christ and fight together for the faith.

Brother Russ

November 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home