MRH - God Moments 2009
What were the “God moments” in your life this last year? Was there an event, an encounter, or a moment that God revealed Himself in a simple or an extraordinary way? And despite your best attempts to explain the experience, you are perhaps left with only these words - “it was a God thing.”There were many such moments at My Refuge House this last (actually our first) year -certainly too many to count. But here are few that come to mind:
• Clearly, the baptisms of five of our residents in October stands out as an indelible moment. It was a glorious day and the beautiful images of each girl coming out of the water surrounded by floating white plumeria blossoms showed me the beauty that new life brings (2 Corinthians 5:17).
• In July, we unveiled our Prayer Room which was designed by one of our local partners, Lyn. Her large painting entitled “Going Home” captures a simple native house set against sunrise hues. In the same spirit of the Parable of the Prodigal Son, the painting was inspired by the story of a daughter who ran away from home to work in the city where she ends up being exploited as a prostitute. But she decides to return home after seeing her mother’s photo posted in a hotel lobby with the following words written on the back - “Whatever you have done, whatever you have become, it doesn’t matter. Please come home.” This painting is daily reminder of God’s prodigal (reckless) love and His relentless pursuit of us.• Daily mealtimes are full of God-moments if we just pay attention. One of our girls, Helen,* comes from a family of 10 children, and she recalls how she would literally fight with her siblings over food. Seeing our girls partake of meals, knowing they themselves have carried the burden of placing food on their family tables, brings all of us to a place of gratitude. I remember taking pause during mealtime just to stare at the food laid out on the lazy susan, knowing none of us had worked to put it on the table. My thoughts were drawn to the legion of supporters all over the world who have given so much to our ministry. Their generosity reminds us how God loves and provides for our needs here.
• Also, daily, the girls love to sing worship songs. Hearing them sing their favorites, which include “Amazing Grace - My Chains Are Gone” and “Mighty to Save” are surreal moments if you really think about it. These moments remind me of my favorite quotes by Mark Buchanan - “The opposite of a slave is not a free man. It’s a worshiper.”• In late October, one of the residents, Teri,* took off during a pre-natal appointment while waiting in the lobby of a health clinic. Fortunately, Teri, who was four months pregnant, was found a few hours later and was brought safely back to MRH, this time in tears. I witnessed our social worker, Marivic, who had earlier accompanied Teri to the clinic, lovingly dry the tears streaming down Teri’s face. I was reminded once again of the words already spoken here - “Whatever you have done, whatever you have become, it doesn’t matter. Please come home.”
I was also reminded of quote by Sheri Reynolds - "You can look at a scar and see hurt, or you can look at a scar and see healing"
• And finally, I remember a moment during my first week at My Refuge House in May. I was taking in some quiet time in the backyard, which is just lush green and lined with fruit trees, orchid flowers, and canopy of shade. I was feeling anxious with my new role at MRH when a presence arrived. I remember seeing Jesus - not the physical embodiment, but a Spirit weaving through the trees. This moment was a reassurance to me that I and our entire home were not alone. I shared this experience with the staff and residents, reminding them that they do not need to fear anything because MyRefuge House is a safe place and that God was with us.
I am convinced more than ever that God is revealing Himself every moment of every day, we just need to pay attention. He is restoring all of creation, including the precious lives of our residents. I know this because I see it every day.
At My Refuge House, we are grateful beyond words for your ongoing support and prayers. Through you, we are reminded how much God loves us. And the Christmas season is just another reminder of how true this is. Christ, Christmas, and My Refuge House - each can be summed up in three simple words:
God. With. Us.
May this be a season of reflection and anticipation of God’s faithfulness!
Peace & Joy,
Russ Bermejo, Clinical Director.
*real names withheld for confidentiality and security reasons

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home