Wednesday, December 9, 2009

More Than Mission, Intimacy

Today, I gave the morning staff devotional at International Justice Mission - Cebu. It was a farewell of sorts given my winding time here in Cebu. Nearly 17 months ago, I walked through the same doors opening into the conference room to be introduced to the entire office for the very first time. It was my first morning in Cebu. Today, I walked into the same room, facing many of the same people. Lord only knows how much this entire experience has changed me.

The devotional included a slide show of my family and work here and a power point presentation of some slides and quotes and reflections. I will expound on some of my thoughts in the upcoming days. Here are some of the quotes I shared today:

Missions is not the ultimate goal of Church. Worship is. Missions exist because worship doesn’t. Worship is ultimate, not missions, because God is ultimate, not man. When this age is over, and the countless millions of the redeemed fall on their faces before the throne of God, missions will be no more. It is a temporary necessity. But worship abides forever. - John Piper


The premise of my devotional included the same thoughts I have shared with my staff at My Refuge House which was simply this:

The desires to serve, to be part of God's ministry, to be on mission - these are awesome motivations that lead us to our current work. But during your time either at IJM or MRH, if you have not become more intimate with Christ, known Him deeper, your heart of worship enlarged, or your prayer life has not deepened, then you have truly missed out on something special.

We were given this mission or work not merely to serve, but perhaps more importantly, so we could know Him better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home