Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanking Him All Day Long - 2009

- Wake-up and can hardly believe that it's Thanksgiving Thursday. Doesn't feel like it because its time to get ready for work. Praising God for our family a mission here in Cebu and grace to accomplish it. His mercies are indeed are new every morning. (6:30 am)

- Scanning through the daily news on CNN.com and reading another story of child labor, this time the plight of child slaves in Pakistan. Seven days a week, all his life, brick-by-brick. I can't imagine this reality. Praising God for agencies like International Justice Mission who work tirelessly and go into situations like this and seek justice on behalf of the oppressed. (7:00 am)

- Actually, we're getting ready for a Thanksgiving celebration with a mission group from New Life Fellowship Church from New York. This church sponsor Rick & Jiji Harner, who are local missionaries and partners of ours at MRH. Megumi and the kids will joining us at MRH today. Our family is bringing a chicken stew and taco salad which we are preparing in the kitchen right now. Praising God whenever I can bring Megumi and the kids to "work." (7:30 am)

-While we are getting ready to go to MRH, the owner of our house (who lives across the way in the backyard) wants to know if we she can a prospective renter the house. We tell her that we are leaving in a few minutes and will be gone most of the day and that tomorrow is better. Instead, she tells us the interest parties will be coming in a few minutes. Uggh! I'm upset. But still praising God for this home which has provided us shelter, cover from rain, and a lot of great memories for the last year and half (8:15 am).

- When we arrive at MRH, the girls are dressed in beautiful long peach skirts and white blouses that were borrowed from the government shelter. They are excited about our guests who are coming. The place is decorated with a green streamers, and our cook is barbequeing pork skewers in the front while the staff are making fruit cocktail in the kitchen. Unfortunately, our guests are nearly one-hour an half late. Thanking God for teaching me the difference between merely waiting and anticipation. Waiting is simply passing the time. Anticipation is knowing something really really great is about to happen (11:25 am)

- Our guests from New Life Fellowship finally arrive and assemble in the dining area. I welcome my fellow American guests by wishing them a Happy Thanksgiving and acknowledging that all of us, including the residents, are here today away from family. But I point out a part of Filipino culture that I admire and that is calling each other (mostly people that are older than you) "kuya" or "ate" (pronounced ah-tay) meaning big brother or big sister. For instance, all the residents call me "Kuya Russ." I remind them that we are in the presence of family today and that in the kingdom perspective, God's family means much more than blood. Thanking God for my brothers and sisters in Christ, even ones that I just met. There is always an instant bond. (11:40 am)

- We worship in song - first by singing "Mighty to Save" and then "Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone" which are two of the residents' favorite songs. Praising God for moments when I hear people singing worship songs they truly mean. (11:50 am)

- I share some reflections of some God moments here at MRH, and then one of our residents, Sheri (real name witheld) shares her testimony. Sheri shares how her experience in MRH thus far, where she has "learned to be good, but not perfect" and realize that God has a plan for her life. She closes by expressing her desire to be baptized. Unbelievable. Praising God because He is indeed good and for His amazing work in each of our residents' lives. (12 noon)

- The girls share two interpretrative praise dances, which they have been practicing all week long. The songs that guide their movement and expression are "Power of Your Love" and "Celebrate Jesus." The tambourine is indeed an instrument of praise. Praising God becaues our heart was created for dance and praise and reminding me of one of my favorite quotes - The opposite of a slave is not a free man. It is a worshiper." The girls did great and they were so happy. (12:10 pm)

- I ask Pastor Drew Hyun of New Life Fellowship to close our time by leading out in prayer as the entire gathering prayed first over the girls and then our staff. We circled the girls in prayer, and at the close many were in tears. We then circled our staff, and at the close, they were grateful. And then Pastor Drew unexpectedly asked the entire gathering to cirlce my family and I and they smothered us with prayer. I'm lost for words because of gratitude. I have known these people for only one hour, and yet they have shown me the intimacy that only prayer brings. Praising God for the countless (There are more than I know) people who have prayed for MRH and my family. It has meant everything to us. 12:20 pm

- After food and fellowship, our guests and my family eventually leave. And it is only us - the residents and staff. You can tell that celebration is really really good for the soul. We start planning for our Christmas Party and decide that we are going to have a talent show - MRH Idol - with judges and prizes. Staff and girls will participate. Girls so excited. Praising God for good times because they bring healing. 2:30 pm

- I'm frankly exhausted and have a hard time working the remainder of the afternoon. I look at everything around me, the lush green back yard, our girls, and then our staff. And then the calendar. I have only 30 days left here. I'm just grateful. (4:00 pm)

- I arrive home from work. Megumi and the kids just arrived from gymnastics class. The kids excitedly tell me that they are able to do some new gymnastic moves. We gather around a table of a regular dinner made by our helper, Mayang. It is simple and not nearly the spread that my family in the states will be having. But I know that I'm rich beyond measure because of all the good things in my life, none more than Christ Jesus. Our familiy recites a "Family Prayer" together. And we feast on God's goodness. (7:00 pm)

Here's the link for last year's Thanksgiving Edition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home