Advent Conspiracy: Give Presence:
With Black Friday coming up, I thought I would post the video from Advent Conspiracy, which is movement amongst the Body aiming to restore the scandal of Christmas by substituting compassion for consumption. I discovered this revolution last year, and shared it with some friends as we celebrated the Advent Season together. I should tell you that the shopping fest for Christmas here in the Philippines started weeks ago and is in full swing. The malls are buzzing and its crazy here. Probably crazier than what I have witnessed in the states. I just found out that three of the largest malls in the world are here in the Philippines - those malls are in Manila. SM Mall Cebu here is #12 on the list. I will be writing later this week about some thoughts (ie. where do these Filipinos get all this money to blow?) about the mall phenomenan here in the Philippines, but clearly, there is a need for a similar Conspiracy here. Probably everywhere.
Lord, have mercy on each of us. Forgive us for what we have done with your blessings. Forgive us for what we have done with your Birthday. We need your grace. We need your wisdom. We need a revolution of our souls. We need a renovation of our hearts. Amen.
Lord, have mercy on each of us. Forgive us for what we have done with your blessings. Forgive us for what we have done with your Birthday. We need your grace. We need your wisdom. We need a revolution of our souls. We need a renovation of our hearts. Amen.

4 Comments:
I've been feeling this way about Christmas for the past few years, actually. I think if you do presents out of obligation, then that's not really feeling the joy of giving or Christmas or anything.
Hi Jordan, you are most certainly right. I remember when Megumi and I decided years ago that we were going to give our nephews and nieces "experiences" rather than actual presents. We were accused of being cheap-skates. One year, we decided not to give birthday presents, but instead donate to a charity. That was an absolute scandal in our family. But I tell you, we have wonderful memories of taking them out instead and did various things. Not only was it cheaper, but it was more memorable. I think we lack the courage and creativity to rethink our consumption. It's easier buy that expensive gift for that someone that has everything out of fear.
So what are really afraid of. I think Christ can somehow replace that fear with something beautiful. Hope you are doing well.
PS. Where was your dad the last two months?
That is so amazing that you were thinking that...I've been thinking that for awhile now and I give into all the stuff every year after year...this year I'm going to do it differently...I'll tell you what I did later since it's still a working progress...
Mia
Let this year be different. Pray that God will give us the wisdom and courage to defy all the lies about Christmas. They can call us Scrooge, and they can call us cheap, but deep down inside, they will know you have found and given a great treasure.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home