Thursday, July 24, 2008

We Survived The Trunk

We have arrived in Tokyo after a 10.5 hour flight. The kids did as well as we could have hoped for. Imagine putting a family of five in the size of a Honda Accord trunk, and you can imagine life in economy class. It's amazing all that you can do in such a tiny space.

Our farewell at LAX was a tearful one with my family. My mother and brother each tearfully hugged me and pleaded me to take care of myself and be safe. Of course, I cried, but I tried to be strong and encouraging. The only thing I could tell them, however, was that I loved them and that "the Lord is my strength and shield - and I have nothing to be afraid of." In my prayer journal I prayed to our Heavenly Father that their longing and desire for family to be together be a longing for Him, and that any anxiety and worry be a pointer to His peace and joy. I know my Havenly Father will hear and answer my prayer.

Our first day with Megumi's parents' has been a relaxing and enjoyable one. It is hot and humid, but I cannot and should not complain since the Philippines will certainly be worse. I will miss the dry weather in California. It is also a strange feeling not to have a "to do list." I look at my day planner and nothing is written in it other than my arrival this upcoming Sunday. What a great and much needed opportunity for "rest and relaxation" the next few days will be. Also, it is strange not to talk much. Whenever I am in Japan, I certainly listen more than I speak and this is also a welcome break, especially given what my life was like leading up to our departure. I was getting tired of myself talking. I expect to hear His voice even more clearly.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone again for their encouragement. God's voice is loud and clear in my life because of you. I especially want to thank my brother in Christ, Michael T., who showed up at LAX along with my family to say goodbye and "annointed" me with the promise that Jesus will be no further away from us when we are away. In other words, He will be just as close and perhaps even closer. Hearing this gave me so much peace.

Peace to each of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

God is good and we certainly wish you and your family the best. Wish I could have been more help to you during the last couple of months but I'm sure you understand my health issues. We are remembering you in prayer daily and you are always in our thoughts. Love, Pastor Ken

July 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger ERuss said...

Hi Pastor Ken, thank you for your post. The generous support, kindness, and prayers of OCC has been overwhelming. Thank you for your leadership. Don't work too hard and please take care of yourself. Russ & Megumi

July 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home