Joy: Mission Accomplished

Many of you may agree that one of the defining characteristics of the Christ-follower is joy. There are many Scriptures that exhort us to be full of joy. Joy is what gives our faith credibility.
But if you read the Gospels, one would have a hard time seeing Jesus as a joyful person. He is kind, compassionate, merciful, angry, humble, loving, restrained - all these are evident, but what about joyful. In fact, Isaiah 53:3 says that he was a "man of sorrow" - despised and rejected, and acquainted with the deepest grief. Why would I be called to be a joyful person if my Master was not joyful Himself? I was perplexed and even frustrated by this, believe it or not, especially since my New Years Resolution for 2008 was to be full of more joy.
But the Spirit of God teaches if you ask Him to, and He led me to John 17, where this amazing prayer by Christ is recorded. The relationship between the Son and Father is revealed, and the fulfillment of the Father's mission for the Son is complete. First - the last verse in Chapter 16:
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
After saying these things, Jesus looked upt to heaven, and said- "Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you......I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do......"
The prayer continues as he lifts up His disciples -
"I told them many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy."
---
Finally, I discovered a Savior of joy. It is not the giddy-happy-go-lucky-joy. Although easy to see and describe, it is too shallow to capture the true essence of joy. After reading John 17, it seems to me that joy is doing and completing what the Father sent you do. Mission accomplished. Fulfilling what He was sent to do.
Joy comes from doing what we were created to do and becoming who we were created to be and completing what we were sent to do. Next time you feel this deep deep joy, consider the fact that you - at that moment - were fufilling some purpose of our Heavenly Father. This is an amazing thing to think about.
I am learning that a big fat target is on my back and the Evil One wants to rob me of the joy I have found this year, especially while preparing myself for service. Fortunatley, my Savior recognized this, and again speaks to me in the very next verse in John 17. In verse 14, He continues His prayer:
"I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I'm not asking you to taken them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They do not below to this world any more than I do. Make them them holy by our truth; teach them your word, which is truth. Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can made holy by your truth."
Dear Father God, I praise You for Your Word and Your Son's joy! Wherever You choose to send me, I want You to guide me with Your Word. Amen.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home