Monday, October 5, 2009

Was, Is, To Come



Yesterday's post got me reading some passages of Scripture reminding me about God's enduring character.

"Jesus Christ in the same yesterday, today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8

"I am the Alpha and the Omega-the beginning and the end," says the Lord God. "I am the one who is, who alway was, and who is still to come--the Almighty One." Revelation 1:8

What does it mean to have Jesus the same yesterday (was), today (is), and tomorrow (to come)? What should that truth mean to us?

For me, it was the only thing I can hold onto in the face of all uncertainty, including trying to discern what God's will is for my family and I. Have you ever gone through a season where you weren't sure what God wanted you do? Where He wanted you to be? Where He wanted you to go? If you have, you know how frightening this place can be.

It means that God is present and near irregardless of whether I feel him nearby. Our feelings, even those of "peace" are not always reliable.

And finally, it means that reflection usually brings confidence. Hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to His faithfulness.

There are many uncertainties in my life right now. My faith is wavering. And I'm even a father who can't keep his promises. But I'm glad we have Someone who never changes, and Father who keeps all His promises. Check out the wonderful passage in Hebrews 6. I love the picture of "an anchor - strong and trustworthy." The storm may be raging, but He is our hope.

"Now when people take an oath, they call on someone greater than themselves to hold them to it. And without question that oath is binding. God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary. Jesus has already gone in there for us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home