Day 9
Today continued watching the next few chapters of the movie "The Gospel of John" but before we did that the girls were again asked to engage in a creative drawing activity. The assignment this time: draw an invisible man. It appears that some of the girls knew where I was going with this since two of them drew Jesus - one sitting on the throne with no facial features. Another girl draw a dark haze or fog, calling it "midnight." We then read Colossians 1:15-20. In verse one Jesus "is the image of the invisble God....For God was was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him." We know that God is invisible, but if we want to know what He looks like, all we have to do is look at Christ. I showed the girls my favorite picture of Christ and encouraged them to think about this while watching the movie.
It is such a thrill to witness young people "get it." After watching up to chapter 18, I asked the girls which part of the movie today struck them. One of them pointed to John 14:6 - "I am the way the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.....Anyone who has seen me has seen the father."
Wow!
We then picked apart verse 6 - I am the WAY, the TRUTH, the LIFE. The girls remembered the bridges they drew yesterday when we talked about the WAY. Then I asked them "have you ever been lied to?" One of the girls quickly remarked "recruitment!" "Ah - yes!" I remarked, "many of you are here because of deception and lies." I then continued "But if Jesus is the TRUTH, then whatever he says in the Bible, it is TRUE - he is not capable of lying." And then finally - LIFE. When I asked them what this meant, one of the girls said "eternal life." I responded by saying that this is true, but more than just quantity of life, He is talking about quality of life. I then asked them to think about a moment when they felt truly alive. One of the girls said the day she was rescued, because "God answered my prayer."
I was floored. This girl more than anyone I have ever met, got it. She got Jesus.
I closed our time by saying that there is a part of your heart, part of your soul, that cannot be satisified by anything, any place, any pleasure, any activity - other than Christ. He is the only one that can truly satisfy you.
That is what it means when he says "I am the LIFE." True life.
It is such a thrill to witness young people "get it." After watching up to chapter 18, I asked the girls which part of the movie today struck them. One of them pointed to John 14:6 - "I am the way the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.....Anyone who has seen me has seen the father."
Wow!
We then picked apart verse 6 - I am the WAY, the TRUTH, the LIFE. The girls remembered the bridges they drew yesterday when we talked about the WAY. Then I asked them "have you ever been lied to?" One of the girls quickly remarked "recruitment!" "Ah - yes!" I remarked, "many of you are here because of deception and lies." I then continued "But if Jesus is the TRUTH, then whatever he says in the Bible, it is TRUE - he is not capable of lying." And then finally - LIFE. When I asked them what this meant, one of the girls said "eternal life." I responded by saying that this is true, but more than just quantity of life, He is talking about quality of life. I then asked them to think about a moment when they felt truly alive. One of the girls said the day she was rescued, because "God answered my prayer."
I was floored. This girl more than anyone I have ever met, got it. She got Jesus.
I closed our time by saying that there is a part of your heart, part of your soul, that cannot be satisified by anything, any place, any pleasure, any activity - other than Christ. He is the only one that can truly satisfy you.
That is what it means when he says "I am the LIFE." True life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home