Lucky and Out of Shape
With all the news of H1N1 flu outbreak, I am grateful that my entire family, including myself, have been spared any serious illness during our time here in Philippines. Frankly, I'm shocked because there is potential public health risks lurking all around, especially when we venture into high density locations such as the malls. The malls have lots of people and very few comfortrooms or CRs (that's what they call restrooms here), none of which have toilet paper, paper towels, or oftentimes even soap. Public urination is common place. We wonder about food handling as well. Then there's the potential for dengue fever (everytime a mosquito bites us, we wonder), which has proven itself fatal here.
Despite all of this, we are generally in good health. No flu, no serious conditions, no food poisoning, infections with any of us. The only time we have had to go to the hospital was when Tomoki suffered a cut on the back of his head after falling off his toy car. Personally, I'm amazed about how resilient my body is. I don't take good care of myself these days, I basically eat like crap, I don't sleep well, and have not exercised a lick (other than a 5K in December and just normal walking around). I've gained some weight (maybe 5-10 lbs or so?), so that is a reminder of my negligence. Who knows what the insides look like though (ie. arteries).
Amazingly, I haven't missed one day of work due to illness. Grace - that's all I can say.
But I also realize it's disobedience. I'm sure God expects me to take better care of this body, which was given to glorify and serve Him. I'm turning 40 in less than 6 months (April 17th) and I know that I have to take better care of myself.
To this end and after being inspired by few runner friends, I have signed up for the Orange County Marathon on May 2, 2010. That gives me 6 months to train, which should be enough to get my pudgy body back to running shape. It has been over two years since I last ran, and although the thought of early morning runs are not exciting at this point, I do remember how running provided some of the most meditative and exhilerting times for me.
I'm reviewing some of my past running exploits, and I'm becoming motivated again. You can read about some of my running days on the Team Bermejo blog that I kept for a short time almost three years ago.
By the way, it looks like my photo is still being used by the Long Beach Marathon. I'm currently on their splash screen (top of their website), and have found this photo on a Long Beach municipal calendar and the marathon exhibit booth and website for the past few years. This photo was taken five years ago during my first half marathon in October 2004.
Despite all of this, we are generally in good health. No flu, no serious conditions, no food poisoning, infections with any of us. The only time we have had to go to the hospital was when Tomoki suffered a cut on the back of his head after falling off his toy car. Personally, I'm amazed about how resilient my body is. I don't take good care of myself these days, I basically eat like crap, I don't sleep well, and have not exercised a lick (other than a 5K in December and just normal walking around). I've gained some weight (maybe 5-10 lbs or so?), so that is a reminder of my negligence. Who knows what the insides look like though (ie. arteries).
Amazingly, I haven't missed one day of work due to illness. Grace - that's all I can say.
But I also realize it's disobedience. I'm sure God expects me to take better care of this body, which was given to glorify and serve Him. I'm turning 40 in less than 6 months (April 17th) and I know that I have to take better care of myself.
To this end and after being inspired by few runner friends, I have signed up for the Orange County Marathon on May 2, 2010. That gives me 6 months to train, which should be enough to get my pudgy body back to running shape. It has been over two years since I last ran, and although the thought of early morning runs are not exciting at this point, I do remember how running provided some of the most meditative and exhilerting times for me.
I'm reviewing some of my past running exploits, and I'm becoming motivated again. You can read about some of my running days on the Team Bermejo blog that I kept for a short time almost three years ago.
By the way, it looks like my photo is still being used by the Long Beach Marathon. I'm currently on their splash screen (top of their website), and have found this photo on a Long Beach municipal calendar and the marathon exhibit booth and website for the past few years. This photo was taken five years ago during my first half marathon in October 2004.

2 Comments:
You already signed up for the OC Marathon!???? Good for you!!! I'm going to run it!!! I'm serious!!! I just bought new shoes, the Nike LunarGlides. I need to up my time, I have a friend who run 8+ min miles!!!
I was looking forward to running in my new shoes but lo and behold...I woke up with a sore throat and asthamatic cough!!! Noooo!!!! Noooo!
May you & your wonderful family remain healthy.
Hey Nannette,
I have Nike running shoes that I purchased here in Cebu last year for the 5 K. I'll wear those for now, but excited when I return back to CA to buy my Asic Kayanos, which are for people who have whacked-out gaits. I've owned 3 previous pairs and they offer wide sizes.
I'm a 10 minute mile runner for the first half and seriously fade for the last 13 miles. My full-marathon times are around 5 hours. My goal for OC is to simply smile and not defecate in my shorts come the finish line.
Let's get a team together for this race and make gobs of money for MRH.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home