Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beyond Our Expectations

We're back home after traveling nearly 900 miles (by car) and 100 miles (by train) these last few days. The kids traveled unbelievably well, and as a result, we were able to see the North Pole, the Grand Canyon, and.....Kingman, Arizona.

Last night we stayed in Kingman, which is about 100 miles east of Williams, just to break up and shorten our drive back home. When trying to make reservations on Orbitz, I knew I was venturing into roach motel territory. I had no expectations for anything nice in a town known as a "pit stop" or as an "armpit." I reviewed some of the reviews of various places (which looked all the same), looked at price (pretty similar), and settled on the Best Western Kings Inn & Suites (complimentary full breakfast and junior suite). I had hope, but actually low expectations.

It was about 8:00 pm when we exited the 40 freeway and down the dark empty street to the motel. I was already a little nervous. A surrounding dark lit Chinese restaurant (open but empty) and a non-chain burger place greeted us as we drove into front driveway. The family is tired and hungry and its blistering cold outside. I needed this place to be nice.

I asked for a bottom floor unit, but the front lady said there was none available. After getting the card keys to room 263, I drive back to the motel and notice the parking lot is basically empty. Hmmm.

I was the first one out of the van, so I walked up the stairs (upset) and tried the card keys, which didn't work (more upset). I then call the front desk while I make sure I'm visible to my family parked below, because now feel like I'm going to get mugged. After a few more frustrated attempts, I was to get the door open into a unit that looked.....

Amazing.

I haven't been good with words to describe things I've seen all trip long, so "amazing" may seem like a ridiculous word to describe a motel room in Kingman, Arizona. My daughter, Hana, was right behind me and when she saw the room, she immediately ran down the stairs to tell her brother, Sei that he needed to hurry and see the room, because it was "big and beautiful." I can't tell you how relieved I was and the joy I felt in seeing Hana and Sei's joy as they entered into the room together. Santa Claus? Perhaps not. But it's what we needed at this moment.

Hana continued her journaling later that evening, she wrote down "this is the most beautiful room we have ever stayed in." What a gift it is to be amazed like a child.

My children are teaching me many things already this Advent season, which technically does not begin until tomorrow, but has already taken birth in our hearts and home. I imagine how a child of a shepherd would have approached the manger and upon getting a glimpse of the Baby Christ, would have ran back, through a busy inn, back home, to tell her siblings or friends, what he had just seen, only to rush back for another look. Advent reminds me that our greatest joy come when our deepest longings are not simply met, but fulfilled beyond our wildest imaginations. Abba Father simply knows what we need, and blows our minds. Of course, this is more likely to happen if we see things the way the little ones do.

"The attempt to reduce the Lord Jesus to a manageable size is a common but fatal error. It robs Him of his Otherness and confines Him to our mental limits. Aquinas warned against this 'If you comprehend God, He is not God." In the same vein of the Zen Master says "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha." That is, if you think you have comprehended the Buddha, destroy your comprehension of him. The secret is to know that 'The Son of God is always greater.' No matter how great we think Him to be, He is always greater.'"

- Peter van Breeman, Certain as the Dawn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home