Mid-life Crisis
I should admit that there was a a period of grieving. One of the books that created the crisis was Dietrich Bonhoeffer's formative read - The Cost of Discipleship. The quote - “When Christ calls a man, he bid him come and die" absolutely shook me. I knew the path of love that God was calling me would cost me everything.
I have no need to go and buy a Corvette, get a tattoo, or get a vasectomy. I look forward to my 40's because it means my love affair will only get sweeter. I expect a life of more risk and adventure as I become more satisfied in Him. Of course, I still have a family to care and provide for. But I've already given them back to Him. My greatest fear of losing them has less of a grip on me. So this is freedom.
Of course you only learn to take risk when you know you're loved. We know this to be true in child development (see Erickson's trust vs. mistrust) and it is certainly true in our relationship with our Heavenly Father. As a father myself, I now have similar dream for my children.
By the way, you might wonder what God said when he spoke to me. Okay - it wasn't an audible voice less you think I'm certifiably nuts. But it was as clear as any voice I've ever heard - the weight even heavier. This is what he said:
"I love you. I love you."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home